Vanguard SOH

wayfarer

It's ok...

I was in the beta for a while but did not care for it too much, however...

If you really want an immersive RPG which requires lots of time and is very rigorous then Vanguard is a good choice. There are however numerous bugs, though supposedly it's a lot better then it was at launch. It does require a beast to run at high settings, but it looks really nice.

While I don't want to come off sounding like I have a grudge against SoH, the fact that Microsoft dropped it because the lead developer, Brad McQuaid who recently left Sigil and layed off about 50 employees could not meet the timetables and instead SoE took over made me a little irritated. As anyone who has played EverQuest, Planetside, or Star Wars Galaxies can tell you, SoE normally mishandles games.

I was actually really excited when Microsoft decided to back this game and provide funding, but i heard SOE took it over and decided it would go to crap like the other SOE games :( sadily this game could have been something else if the developers weren't lazy. I think EverQuest had a lot to do with corrupting the developers, but they were among the best in mmo backgrounds, but microsoft wanted something to compete with World of Warcraft so i can see why they stopped funding the game.

(edited)

I picked this up. Gonna try it for a bit. So far the game is very dynamic, the details of this game makes

WoW look like tetris. Graphics & sound are awsome. The download time for the game

is very long, however, and the server population seems a little sparse. The game is brand

new though. If it survives long enough for them to clean it up a bit, and to get some people

in there, it looks like it will be a fantastic game.

Edited by wayfarer

I picked this up. Gonna try it for a bit. So far the game is very dynamic, the details makes

WoW look like tetris. Graphics & sound are awsome. The download time for the game

is very long, however, and the server population seems a little sparse. The game is brand

new though. If it survives long enough for them to clean it up a bit, and to get some people

in there, it looks like it will be a fantastic game.

What server are you playing on Way?

Name - Valinda

Server - Woefeather

Continent - Thestra

I'm a high Elf. If you want to hook up DK & I are around

the city of Leth Nurae. I have no idea how difficult it would

be to hook up if you start as another race, this world is gigantic!

(edited)

Scuba, myself, and Dknight, another buddy of ours from WoW, started really

getting into this game last night. I was told that there are no instances in this game.

however, with Scuba, and Dkight at level 11, and myself at level 12 we had

already experienced 3 complete dungeons. The third one we are on is by all

accounts, other than party seperation from the game, a full blown instance.

The flow of gameplay was quite enjoyable and the graphics stunning, (even

though my AGP X850 XT is chugging along on the medium low setting!) The music

is an absoloute treat, harminous fantasy in towns and open fields, dark and ominous

in the deep dungeons, and heart pounding & epic during battles. Dknight & myself

picked up our first mounts at level 10 for a measly 12 silver. Really good armor & weapon

drops in the dungeons of this game too, all three of us getting at least one good item from

each dungeon, more often two or three. Having really just entered the second zone, we

were completely amazed at the sheer magnitude of this game. Customizable UI, ingame co-ordinates,

and minimap markers make navigating this behemoth of a game an absoloute joy.

If there is a game out there that will pull me out of WoW, this is it, without a doubt.

Edited by wayfarer

(edited)

Looks like Breydon is coming too. He said he was looking at a paladin. Either way

I guess we could use a tank. Another healer would be good too. I don't know how

much undead there are in this game, but clerics are awsome against them. I would'nt

be opposed to another cleric either.

Edited by wayfarer

GC Alumni
(edited)

I'll tell ya, Way, I'm tempted. Very tempted. Not sure if I want to play the whole catch up game again though...

*edit

I figured I'd try it out... Won't hurt me. If I don't like it, no harm done since it's a free month.

Edited by JackieChan

I'll buy it tomorrow and try to catch up. how long does it take to get to level 10 about a day or two?

I'm assuming that. Let's hook up Kenger. I'll try to go for the name "Tatsuhiko". (heh, I use that name for all mmorpgs)

GC Alumni
(edited)

I'll meet ya in game, Way. Hope it's as good as you say it is... might replace WoW if it's really that fun because WoW seems more like a chore to play now.

ugh, I probably won't get in for another hour or so because it has to analyze files before I can play...

Edited by JackieChan

everyplace around here was out of game so i bought the digital download have another hour for download to get done... :-/ btw im exhaulted with scryer now and 600g richer haha.

I'm going to make a Zarmar or some cat people Dread knight or Shaman, thinking im gonna go with the dread knight tho.

GC Alumni
(edited)
everyplace around here was out of game so i bought the digital download have another hour for download to get done... :-/ btw im exhaulted with scryer now and 600g richer haha.

I'm going to make a Zarmar or some cat people Dread knight or Shaman, thinking im gonna go with the dread knight tho.

Ah man.. I had such a hassle with the digital download... takes a couple hours to download, an hour to extract, an hour to install, and a LONG time to update...

For some reason, I can't whisper Scuba whenever he's online.

Edited by JackieChan

(edited)

Yeah, I did the digital D/L takes like forever, they have the D/L capped for some reason around

900 Kbps. Scuba is running under the handle Komadin again. Go into the look for people part

of your social tab, type in komadin, then hit the send message button. Good to go!

Edited by wayfarer

Scuba is running under the handle Komadin again. Go into the look for people part

of your social tab, type in komadin, then hit the send message button. Good to go!

I did that. For some reason it says hes offline when he's not.