Pioneer 8th gen plasma

anonymo

So Pioneer just finished their 4 day press event at my hotel where they had on display their new 8th generation plasma TVs. There are three manufacturers of plasma TVs right now; Pioneer, Panasonic and Hitachi (I'm pretty sure LG only manufactures LCDs...can't remembr) so they usual reserve the best of the best for themselves. These new plasmas boast a whopping 20,000:1 STATIC contrast ratio...yes static. At CES this year they didn't even quantify it because it didn't fit any of the current scales for measuring contrast.

Anyways...they had a room set up with 5 plasmas, a Sony, a Panasonic, a Pioneer, a LG and a Hitachi and it was like night and day. These things look like super bright CRT televisions, it was no comparison with them all sitting together. The demo reel they had rolling included many black screen examples and it almost looks like the new Pioneers just turn off, it's black! I almost forgot what black looked like!

If anyone is thinking of buying a new flat panel TV in the next 6 months WAIT!! These new Pioneers come out in September (at $6999 for 50") and will make every plasma/LCD/DLP TV obsolete. New adaptive burn in features also eliminate the worry of burn in compared with previous generation plasmas, so that consideration is out the window.

They had another room with their 62" plasma and a full TAD 7.1 speaker system that was just off the hooks! These TAD speakers weigh in at 80 LBS each, have to be centered and balanced by a technician and cost a wallet ripping $13,000 a pop! That's $91,000 for the satellites and another $20,000 for the dynamic powered dual woofer ported box sub (*drool*). The speaker wires alone for each speaker were an inch and a half in diameter and you physically couldn't bend them more than 110degrees (taping them down was a nightmare). They had a BluRay player with a bunch of different movies rolling all the time so I got a good feel for how nice it all sounds and looks.

Time to start saving...although I do have the contact for the head of marketing for Pioneer Canada who wants talk business about putting screens in the hotel, something I doubt I have much say in but maybe I can get a freebie in the process :freak:

Dude, I looked up a sample of some "hi-def" video playing on one of those things last night and played it on my old 27" CRT...The video quality looks like crap. It's no better than my current TV!

This earned a groan, not a laugh.

Shame on you.

Dude, I looked up a sample of some "hi-def" video playing on one of those things last night and played it on my old 27" CRT...The video quality looks like crap. It's no better than my current TV!

This earned a groan, not a laugh.

Shame on you.

Shame on YOU! :Disappointed_anim:

Edited by appalachian_fox