Home server

TheGeek

I am thinking of starting a home server with Microsoft's server 2000 software. It'll have a 500gb hard drive, and a remote access with an internal email. So people can directly email my house.

Thoughts? Concerns? Practicability?

Do you have a router? If so, it will take some configuration to get it set up for a home server for email and all of that. Also, you will need more than just 2000 server to get email at your home; you will need exchange server. It may be easier to set up a linux server for these services over a microsoft setup.

reliability of your internet. If your internet is down, email to you will not show up and people will get errors. Security is also a concern since server OS's are regularly attacked.

(edited)

why do you want a server? What will the server be used for? In almost every case, any distro of linux will be better than Microsoft.

If its just for email, your wasting your time. If your just playing around and trying to learn, go for it. Back when I was in school, I built all kinds of servers using Microsoft and linux. Its a good way to learn.

Edited by NOFX

I'm planning to use the server for file storage. Say if I'm in Minneapolis and I need a file at home, I can just access the server remotely and download my files. I've never set up a server except for a small network that was not connected to the internet.

To access the files from the server do I need to set up a webpage hosted by that server and just access the webpage? Or can I access the server through my home IP and download the files?

Hmmmm, I wonder if there is a tut somewhere for this...?

you access files from your home machine with XP... there are many ways to do it. Remote in?

easiest would probably just setup an FTP server. go to sourceforge. Get yourself a free ftp server and install it on your XP machine, This will allow you to ftp in from any machine.

you access files from your home machine with XP... there are many ways to do it. Remote in?

easiest would probably just setup an FTP server. go to sourceforge. Get yourself a free ftp server and install it on your XP machine, This will allow you to ftp in from any machine.

Hmmm maybe I will do that with the server. I will look into the linux server software. I'm mainly doing this to learn and explore. Plus I heard of pretty radical things people have done with their servers. Such as, running the server with a dial-up modem, and when they call their house from a certain number the lights turn on.

I want to try some of those radical ideas :D