Any Ska Lovers?

Phat_Splizzle

Well-produced means that there is a good mixture of sounds in the track. Some tracks sound "thin", meaning that they lack some texture to the music and the songs sound like they are missing either an instrument or a subtle sound that is needed to fill out the track.

Then there are tracks that are "thick", meaning that they are too busy and the overbearing of sounds from different sources obscure the entire track and you can't set a distinction between sources and it creates a messy track.

Ska falls generally in the "thick" category. I guess this is all a little abstract and someone who doesn't analyze music would be hard pressed to understand exactly what I mean. I guess you can disregard my request. It's a little hard to explain what I mean because I'm just doing a horrible job at explaining it.

No, I understood what you meant, I just wasn't sure if you had listened to them before and thought them not well produced. I wasn't very clear. Have you heard of their music before?

I find Reel Big Fish's music to be a good blend of sound, not too "thick", but maybe that is because I play the trumpet... 8P)

Goldfinger - Superman <-- One of my favorite songs

If you're talkin' more old school ska (more like reggae) go with "Skatalites" (I don't like them, too slow for my taste).

Mustard Plug is one of my favs. I recommend "Brain On Ska," "Miss Michigan," "Throw A Bomb," or "Skank By Numbers." Plus they do a good cover of "The Freshman" IMO.

Also I loves me some Reel Big Fish.

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests

I dunno, I think ska is innovative because of the whole horns element.. Less Than Jake can be found rocking my speakers 5 out of the 1500 on my Winamp ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Sheepy!!!! I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!! Glad to see you here. You need to post a couple of pics of what my bro did to you in the alchohol thread (since alchohol was being consumed that night.)

Ive seen RBF in a small venue back in 99. Probably the funnest concert I've been to. A band called Longfellow opened up for them (awesome SoCal punk band). Honestly, I cant stand straight up ska music. You like cuz you play trumpet. On the other hand, I play guitar. I started playin guitar in 9th grade and am a junior in college now. I started playing punk and 've always thought punk was the most "fun" to play. If you mix ska and punk you get and awesome sound. Less Than Jake, i would consider RBF mroe rock/ska rather than punk ska. And if you think RBF sounds thin or not well-produced, then you havent heard to much ska at all. RBF mixes rock really well with ska and makes it sound good also. (not to mention recorded very well also)

The reason sublime sounds so "mainstream" is because Brad their signer died and they realized they could sell a billion albums so they redid the albums digitally. I wouldnt give sublime props over RBF just because of the unfortunate incident of a singers death and the fact the it went mainstream. If you heard any Reel Big Fish albums, you would know that they do not want to go mainstream, will not go mainstream and even made a song on their second album apologizing for releasing a song and ppl thinking they sold out. Kinda like NOFX who writes $@!* MTV on their guitars.

Its about what kinda music you like not what is mainstream or not. RBF and Sublime are both rock/ska, but it sounds like ya pick Sublime over RBF just cuz they are mainstream. I agree with NOFX $@!* MTV and you ppl that are like sheep go out and buy/listen to what ppl tell you to.

haha sorry, that was just my rant to all you posers out there that think your cool for buying the New Found Glory Cd after you heard it on MTV