I have a problem.

Hey guys, this is my first post in the section, and unfortunately, it's because I have a problem.

I am not sure if I have DL'ed a virus or similar malicious file unintentionally, and I don't think I could have, given I haven't downloaded anything since Naruto Shippuden 18, heh. Though I have streamed from several sites.

Anyway, I was playing CSS, then suddenly my screen goes entirely black. I had windows media player going, and this seemed to continue fine, however I could not pause it with my G15 keyboard anymore. I also could not bring up the Windows Task Manager, nor switch between programs with Alt + Tab. It is possible that I could, and that the pitch black screen was blocking this.

I then manually reset my computer, upon reset, at that the very initial start up screen there were/are blue columns, that look like blocks of blue lines streaking down the monitor. Then on the next page of start up, random characters are jumbled around on part of the list.

Then when windows finishes, and I am actually using XP, I have blocks of these blue and green lines in a similar pattern as when it initially starts up.

In addition, it has changed my resolution to the default setting, and my the computer is running much slow from task to task.

I have a picture of what it looks like whilst running XP. (It is attached)

I have run McAfee virus scan which found and "quarantined" if that really does anything, 15 items.

Any help/advice/empathy is greatly appreciated guys.

gsg.bmp

My first impression is that your video card is crapping out. Due to the fact that your game froze and it affected your computer functions leads me to believe that it is your vid card. I can not see the attachment but I can guess how it looks.

First, if you are overclocking the video card, try clocking it back to normal to see if that helps.

Open your case and blow it out (clean out the dust with canned air or a filtered vacuum cleaner that can clean out dust). Perhaps the fan on the video card died and stopped spinning; try powering on the PC to see if it is spinning.

More details on your system could also help. (System specs, vid card, power supply, etc)

And yes, I was waiting for #19 of Shippuuden as well but it never came. Sick of the every other week thing they are doing right now. (not that I do not know what happens; I've read all of the manga)

Sounds like yer video card might have bummed out on ya, but the syptoms are a bit strange with the keyboard not functioning properly and the virus scan dealio.

Try hitting f10 during the intial boot cycle and go to last known good config.

If that doesn't work ask a friend to lend you a video card to swap out and see if that is the issue.

If you can't do that try running http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/Spy...oy/1043809773/1 and http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=...4-10701900.html

Also try taking the side off your case to allow more air in. If this fixes it, it's heat related.

If it still persists try reinstalling windows.

I have to agree with Zero on this issues. On other thing to try is this, if you have mother board monitoring software, what does it report for voltages? If not, you can jumper the power supply on and check with a multi-meter. I have had similar issues and they were power related.

Check the 3.3V AGP supply...this is what caused my system to display vertical columns of random stuff.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughterâ„¢-TopBrass

Damn, you guys are probably right.

First of all, I am overclocking. My dad and I built the same computer, but for some reason, he can over clock his a ton more than me, and not have any heat difference. (We tested out our overclocking with a program called Prime 95)

So I am not overclocking very much, but already I am above the basic heat level.

Also, my room gets very hot, the the hottest in the house. And lately it's been getting really hot out here (San Diego.)

And, unfortunately this is my fault, I really need to clean out my filters...

I think, sadly, all these factors have culminated into this. I just hope I can fix the problem rather get a new video card...

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

really inspect the vid card fan housing and make sure air flow is good-- if your heat level is high at idle (no gaming) then maybe you could unmount the heatsink and re-apply some thermal grease (arctic silver, etc) and reattach the heatsink

this may or may not be possible on your card. but worth a shot.

Did you check how hot your graphics card heatsink was at the time? Sounds like heat damage.

One thing, does the lines change when you start opening other programs? (minesweeper, opening up another window, etc)

If most of the lines change or shift, then it could be something more serious. One of my friends had a similar problem where his ram and/or motherboard was going out and there were streaking green lines. When he opened a new window, they changed patterns and speed. Basically when ever he used his CPU or ram he got a new light show.

This doesn't seem like the case, but just a suggestion. btw, his compy had a complete system failure shortly after. :(