LOL @ CSBanana

mookie

This thread will probably be of little interest to people who aren't Ice.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/28954

I'm always curious to see what will happen with map assessments on CSBanana. I read a note on this one posted by a site admin saying something about someone's assessment being canceled, so I just had to log in, download the map, walk around, and assess it to get a look at what was being canceled. It was someone who had actually posted that they had not even downloaded it, but rated it 8 anyway (which is fair enough to cancel). The unanimous rating of five others was that this map is a ten.

Rated 7/10 "Admirable"

This is looking pretty good for a first map. There are some small things here that you'll want to watch out for going forward:

You'll need to get used to finding and fixing the leaks in your brushwork. The gaps between the walls around the pool area aren't obvious but as you're working on bigger maps that will cause huge optimisation problems. Sealing up the brushwork properly will also take care of some of the weird lighting going on here, such as in the corner of the shower room where ambient light from the skybox is hitting part of the brush and bleeding over to the interior. Sometimes you can only fix that by clipping the brush into an irregular prism, but in this case just sealing up the level could make VBSP destroy the part of the face on the outside since there's nothing going on out there.

Try to find a consistency with your props and brush entities. You've got some doors as solid brushes but others (e.g. stall doors) as illusionary brushes, and some props as solid and immobile which players might expect to move (e.g. chairs) but other fixtures can be bumped right off the walls (e.g. urinals).

Keep in mind that the 3d skybox (or in this case, brushwork used in place of a 3d skybox) will usually be seen from more than one place around the map. This is not as much of a problem for buildings, but when you use textures for a distant background (e.g. the hills) you will want to check carefully to figure out where it can and can't be seen from (e.g. the diving board).

The diving board itself is very difficult to get onto, since the space for the ladder is barely wide enough for a player to slip in. You probably will have a hard time noticing this kind of stuff after walking around the map for a long time testing it out; consider finding a playtester just to run around and see which walls, doorways, props, ladders, etc. give him trouble.

Fun maps like this are a great opportunity to put odd little things into a map. Some players would probably occupy themselves for quite a while with a reduced-gravity trigger above the diving board.

RobinTM has appealed your assessment of maps #28954 (Reason: talking rubbish)

Well i tested it quite a few times and hardly any of those were a problem to the game play and who said this was my first map?

Nothing that I commented on appears to be an impediment to gameplay; I did hope however that you'd appreciate someone doing a walkthrough and pointing out things that will tend to bug players or seriously exacerbate performance problems on larger, objective-oriented maps you might do in the future.

I stand by my assessment of 7 on this map based on its merits. It's usable on a server (which is more than can be said of a lot of maps), but not exceptional in any way.

• 1 month later...