Graphics Performance Went Downhill

VooDooPC

I installed Windows Vista 64-bit a week or two ago and I think I forgot too install something important. I have been having problems in games, I don't know if it's a coincidence that these games run bad or I did something wrong.

I tried playing the Hellgate London demo and it ran pretty bad, I thought maybe it was because it was a pre-release demo and wasn't optimized. The main menu of Age of Empires 3 hardly gets over 10 FPS, during the game my performance will be fine for the most part but every few minutes it will drop back too 10 FPS for a while. The Need for Speed Prostreet demo came out yesterday, on the highest settings I get around 10 fps, at the lowest settings I get around 15. My 3DMark 06 score went from over 11,000 too around 6,000. My CPU score is where it should be but the SM2.0 and SM3.0 scores are 1/2 what they should be.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=3628145

MSI K9A Platinum

Athlon 6000+ X2

eVGA Geforce 8800 GTX

4 GB DDR2-800 RAM

Using On-Board Realtek HD 7.1 Audio

I tried using the latest WHQL drivers from Nvidia, 169.01, and 169.04. None of those seemed to fix the problem. I'm pretty sure I installed the right chipset drivers ( http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...amp;prod_no=259 ). I don't see anything on AMD/ATIs site that looks like drivers for the motherboard. Nothing is overheating and I don't get any weird graphic abnormalities.

Edited by VooDooPC

wow.

for comparison i get around 30 fps with full settings at 1920x1200 4x aa on. it's a beautiful looking game. i drop the res to 1680x1050 and my fps goes up into the high 40s but still drops in the low 30s occasionally which makes some input lag. i hope the final release is more optimized otherwise i might have to look at sli. :ignore:

similar setup but i've got a c2d at 3.2 instead of your measly 6000. btw, it looks as though this game is multithreaded as i'm in the 80% range of cpu usage. far more than the mid 60% of css.

When I retried it my game was getting a lot better FPS but there was a bit studdering I noticed. I don't know if it was the behind the car camera being funky because it didn't do it when I was using the hood cam, but the car also isn't rendered when you are using the hood cam which would probably make the game run better. I hope it's more optimized for the final release too, but I'm not sure when it comes to EA.