Headsets

General J

So let me first tell you a little story... I am outside playing with my son while my wife is vacuuming. I come inside to hear, "Daddy isn't going to be real happy with me..." She accidentally sucked one of the jacks of my trusty 2+ year old plantronics .audio 90's up with the vacuum. The wire snapped right at the volume control. So now I am stuck looking for a new headset.

I want basically the same thing that I had with the plantronics. Nothing fancy, nothing expensive. Just good quality sound, and a decent mic. I am looking at THESE. I think they are really just the audio 90's with a new name. Any one have any input on that? Any other suggestions, links to better prices, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

As a side note - any married man, or person who has seen A Christmas Story (the leg lamp ring a bell?), or any combination of the 2, will see right through the "accident" part.

I really do love my wife, and I really do believe it was an accident. :shrug03:

i have the audio 90s as well. great headset. that one you linked looks very similar.

if i was to replace them i'd probably go with a little higher model. i don't see any on newegg but if you go to the website you can see.

the audio 90s were about $50 when i bought them so i'd probably look to spend about that much on a new set just to get a similar, but updated, quality.

I have the exact same pair and I love them. I've tried others but these are comfy and breathable. They are open back so you will hear everything else around you but that's good if you still want to hear your environment and if you have kids. :) Actually I'm on my second pair, the mic went out of the first after a little over a year and while I tried others, I went back to the gamecoms.

I used these before I bought my Sennheiser HD555s. I didn't use the mic because I didn't really have much use for it, but the headphones sounded fantastic. The only problem I had with them is after like 6 months the in-line volume control created static when you adjusted the volume.

Cujo, I would hate to say you were taken on that deal. Audio 90's were only $20 from newegg when I got them. I am looking to spend around the same, $20-25. I have it narrowed down to either the GameCom 1's that I linked to above or these Sennheiser HD202's.

two things:

1. i bought them at least 4 years ago.

2. i live in canada and prices were higher back then and still are somewhat on computer parts.

I see. That really sucks if that is the case. If Newegg ships to the great north, I would start using them vs the higher priced places. .Audio 90's were $18 from Newegg in 2004. Could have been much more if it were a year earlier I suppose. I guess I like to buy the cheap slightly outdated stuff. :D

the plantronics are the best 20 dollar headsets around. That being said they are utter crap. they are great use em then lose em headphones just because of how cheap they are. Mine lasted a good year before the cord got rolled over and broke, then I got a second pair for about 6 months till the earphones fell out. I finally got senns 555 and have never been happier.

I finally decided to go with the Plantronics. I dont use the mic right now because the computer is on a shared wall with my sons room, and I only get to play while he is asleep. But in the near future, the computer will probably be moved, so I will have the headset still. And I knew that they sounded great for $20.

And as far as the life of plantronics: I had the .audio 90's for 3+ years with not a single problem. My son, who is just about 2, has put them on, carried them around, thrown them, chewed them :freak3: and they did just fine. I don't know what the heck other people do with their headphones that make them go out within 6 months. Personally I would be sending them to plantronics and exercising my warranty for a free pair every 6 months if that was the case. That being said, they will not, I repeat WILL NOT survive a vacuum cleaner. :biglaugha: