wouldn't it be sweet

Cujo

since crossfire supports 2-4 gpus i'm wondering if it would be possible to crossfire one of those new x2 cards with a single card. that would sure be sweet as an upgrade path and depending on efficiency be smarter than getting 4 cards or 2 x2 cards.

I know nVidia had a twin GPU 7900 series card for a short while that you could run in SLI. Thing was that adding the second really didn't net much good. Guess at the time CPU's (and games) couldn't push all four cards plus monitor rez just wasn't what it is today. Might be more feasible now with games utilizing more then one core and mammoth size displays.

What is the current situation with Crossfire and SLI support in Vista?

I know nVidia had a twin GPU 7900 series card for a short while that you could run in SLI. Thing was that adding the second really didn't net much good. Guess at the time CPU's (and games) couldn't push all four cards plus monitor rez just wasn't what it is today. Might be more feasible now with games utilizing more then one core and mammoth size displays.

What is the current situation with Crossfire and SLI support in Vista?

that's not really what i'm talking about though. it wasn't possible to say run a 7950gx2 with a separate 7950. i'm suggesting it might be possible to run a hd 3870 x2 (or whatever they're going to call it) in crossfire with a single hd 3870.

both are working well for the latest series cards. i know amd has good crossfire support across the board and is much quicker releasing drivers than nvidia. afaik, sli is working properly with nvidia cards or at least the 8800 series. not sure on the last gen stuff.

Technically if you had a X2 card and a single GPU card running in tandem that would be pretty neat. What would be even sweeter would be to see some real world benchmarks (say Crysis, it has to be the most demanding game out right now). You think our current gen CPUs could push 3 GPUs? I think your dreaming of pushing that 30" display that your dreaming about. :prplwacko: