Graphics

Ruff_Ryder

The graphics on UT3 are not as clear as UT2K4, I don't know what Epic was shooting for but they seem a little blurred to me, I run mine at 1920 x 1200 with a ATI 9800 Pro 256mb.

It's called post processing, heard of HDR right. Go into the video options and under post processing set it to default to turn the "blur" off.

Wow you running a 24 incher Ruff? Can that 9800 keep up?

What are you getting ruff? 12fps with the textures all at 1? I have a 7900gtx 512mb and I run it at 1680x1050 with textures at 4 and I get 35ish fps.

Edit: also look at "fixes" thread. It has stuff on setting graphics up nicer, such as taking damage blur off.

Edited by DarkArchon

What are you getting ruff? 12fps with the textures all at 1? I have a 7900gtx 512mb and I run it at 1680x1050 with textures at 4 and I get 35ish fps.

Edit: also look at "fixes" thread. It has stuff on setting graphics up nicer, such as taking damage blur off.

Don't know how to check my fps but after getting my driver for my 8800gts updated, things look goooooood..........

I have upped to the maximum resolution but turned the bloodshed graphic to default.

Still trying to learn new nostromo settings. Hard to control weapons and movement with one hand on it. Like old way, mouse with weapons and movement with nostromo. Hopefully pipe switching will come through.....

256 ram? At that res there is no way the full texture paks are getting on screen; the reason why I had to get a 512 or larger card for my new build (I also swing with 24" at 1920x1200). Probably the big reason why it might not look too swag for you. And yes, the bloom and other effects probably have something to do with it (if anything, how the 9800 tries to render that stuff)

Tip my hat at you sir for playing it at that res on that card. Amazing.

-Fk

It's called post processing, heard of HDR right. Go into the video options and under post processing set it to default to turn the "blur" off.

Wow you running a 24 incher Ruff? Can that 9800 keep up?

I use a Dell 24 inch LCD and the old 9800 Pro does all right, but it sounds like I need to step up a bit :freak:, what would you guys recommend as a replacement???

I appreciate the info.

BTW it looks and plays great on UT2K4.

Edited by Ruff_Ryder

GeForce 8800gt 512

You probably do not want to spend $250 bucks for a card, but it will be worth it (and it beats my $350 for the 8800gts 70 days ago...)

-Fk

EDIT: Yeah, gotta ask - what is your system these days? There may be more going on here. If you are still on AGP for video, you probably are looking at a motherboard/mem/cpu upgrade as well.

FK,

This box was built a little over 4 years ago, it has a Intel 875P mobo with a P4 3.0GHz 800M 478P chip, it has 1 GB ram with a Soundblaster audigy 2 platinum eX sound and the ATI 9800 pro 256mb vid.

If I can patch it up just let me know what it needs, there might still be some life left in the old nag.

Sorry man, keep the audigy but for the rest...

Can you play UT3? Yes.

Will it be pleasant? Not really.

Those specs tell me you have AGP for the video interface and Ultra ATA/100 for the harddrive throughput.

Pull the audigy out, sell the box for $100 to $150 and start planning to upgrade.

I have the same monitor you have and your box is close to the one I have sitting off to the side - I just replaced it so I could play this game. Dell 3.2 HT P4 sys with Nvidia 6600gt AGP video card, 1 gig ram, etc. I didn't even bother trying to play UT3 on it.

Since you got that system, hard drive speeds are much greater, memory speeds are much greater, cpu speed, etc. etc. Four years is a damn good run but I think it's time.

-Fk

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombo...e=10&page=1

CHoose the top combo

Pretty fast AMD chip, plus 2 gig of ram for $100 bucks. Now send in the rebate for $40. Great start for $60 bucks

So:

$60 for cpu and memory

+

cheap case

+

$75 good power supply

+

$80 to 100 SATA hard drive

+

$30 for DVD burner

+

$250 for 8800gt video card

+

Monitior, keyboard, soundcard, mouse, etc. you already have

+

motherboard...

----------------------------

About $500 plus whatever you spend on the case and motherboard. (another $100 prob)

Pretty alright, see my build thread in the hard/soft forums for the $1000 dollar version from two months ago

-Fk

I read through one of the tweak guides that is like 80 pages of text and 1 page of useless information.. here is some of the useful information for those of us that want to squeeze life out of our crappy computers. This will ugly up your game a bit, but it will make it playable. Following this exactly will give you significant framerate increase.. in the vicinity of 15%. PLEASE backup your ini files before you do this, in case you screw up or don't like what you end up with. Here goes:

Go to "My Documents, My Games, Unreal Tournament 3, UTGame, Config"

Open "UTEngine.ini"

set the following values as listed, you'll have to find these one by one, they aren't in any particular order here.. however you'll notice some of them are in the same sections

MotionBlur=False

DepthOfField=False

Bloom=False

QualityBloom=False

Trilinear=False

StaticDecals=False

DynamicDecals=False

DynamicLights=False

DynamicShadows=False

LightEnvironmentShadows=False

Distortion=False

DropParticleDistortion=False

SpeedTreeLeaves=False

SpeedTreeFronds=False

OnlyStreamInTextures=False

LensFlares=False

FogVolumes=False

FloatingPointRenderTargets=True

bSmoothFrameRate=False

K, now open up your "UTGame.ini" file and set:

bShowDamage=False

that removes annoying damage screen flashes :D

Edited by Wentz

That was a pricing thing (mb plus dual core AMD chip for $60 bucks? wow)

Just about everyone is Intel dual core these days, they flat out beat down AMD this generation. AMD has new stuff in the pipeline but that is not for another few months.

-Fk

You might want to study Tom's CPU charts for a little bit.

Most everyone will to you to grab a intel Core 2 Duo, they will be right seems you can't go wrong with them. But at the same time the AMD AM2 chips really are not that bad, they are not quite as fast but they are cheaper.

That was a pricing thing (mb plus dual core AMD chip for $60 bucks? wow)

-Fk

I have one of said CPUs and and I'm getting between 50-60fps at 1600x1200 at 3/3 quality. Thats running with my $220 8800GT of course. :P

Edited by bushwack

Quad core of doom that - how about getting a dual core in the $200 dollar range like most sensible folks? :)

Check out the build threads of other GC types in the hard/soft forums to get up to speed - or just straight up start a thread and let the info flow)

-Fk

I read through one of the tweak guides that is like 80 pages of text and 1 page of useless information.. here is some of the useful information for those of us that want to squeeze life out of our crappy computers. This will ugly up your game a bit, but it will make it playable. Following this exactly will give you significant framerate increase.. in the vicinity of 15%. PLEASE backup your ini files before you do this, in case you screw up or don't like what you end up with. Here goes:

Go to "My Documents, My Games, Unreal Tournament 3, UTGame, Config"

Open "UTEngine.ini"

set the following values as listed, you'll have to find these one by one, they aren't in any particular order here.. however you'll notice some of them are in the same sections

MotionBlur=False

DepthOfField=False

Bloom=False

QualityBloom=False

Trilinear=False

StaticDecals=False

DynamicDecals=False

DynamicLights=False

DynamicShadows=False

LightEnvironmentShadows=False

Distortion=False

DropParticleDistortion=False

SpeedTreeLeaves=False

SpeedTreeFronds=False

OnlyStreamInTextures=False

LensFlares=False

FogVolumes=False

FloatingPointRenderTargets=True

bSmoothFrameRate=False

K, now open up your "UTGame.ini" file and set:

bShowDamage=False

that removes annoying damage screen flashes :D

Thanks MP...helpful.

I have set all graphics options to 3 and postprocessing to "default"

I am getting avg of 30-32 fps on most maps.

This is a cool game, but my "twitch-reflex" does nothing for me, as (like I said about demo), the game is so graphically busy that it is hard for me to find who is killing me and for me to hitscan. I was in the darkwalker and I was getting mashed by fire from 3 directions and before I could figure out who it was...dead. I looked around for like 15 sec.

No matter how noob I was in UT2K4, it never took me that long to see who killed me.

Sounds like a broken record, but do you have the very latest vidcard drivers? Even stuff a month ago is not too good...latest = gravy-Fk
I'm using 163.75...the latest for 7xxx series (win xp).Keep in mind anything higher than that is for 8xxx series (sniff sniff).Yeah, I've heard amazing things about the 169...drivers.Well, I'm just holdin out for another week or so...
I only had to change one of those things, I had changed the rest already. I think FogVolumes I hadnt changed yet. Now i'm getting 70-100fps when I jsut load up a warfare map. MUCH better than the 18 I had been getting!
What are your other graphics settings?I am consistently getting 30s with everything set at 3 and postprocessing set to 'vivid'I may try MP's suggestions again...will back up before. :(

Ok...well...then again, no thanks MP.

I tried those changes and (like a noob) forgot to backup that .ini file...

WELL, NEways....

making those changes set me back about 40% on my FPS...FTW!

Hmmm...further experimentation is in order.

MP? MaDPaT

Tek, I believe Wentz provided you with this info, not me. Still sorry it did not work for you. This is still trial and error for all of us.

My 8800 gts is getting around 62-63 frames at maximum resolution but does require newest drivers to use the necris vehicles

Like you, I am also having hard time identifying enemy. Playing public and someone's skin had like minimum of color other than grey-black. At distance they were like camouflaged and I tend to be a sniper. I am looking into making enemy colors stand out more like it did in UT2004.