7-ways modern games are spoiling us

EbilDustBunny

GC Alumni
(edited)
http://www.omglists.com/article/50533/7-wa...re-spoiling-us/

LOL... man I don't miss the old days of trying to play a online game with friends over dial-up. If there was something wrong you had to disconnect call them and hope they weren't still online so you can see what was going on. Then you get the busy signal... -.-

Hah, too bad I never got the chance to play someone online via modem. I would always watch my brother play Doom2 deathmatch. They were able to stay connected for a pretty long time... given my parent's didn't randomly pick up the phone only to hear that screeching sound.

JackieChan

Edited by JackieChan

Me and Gond used a nice BBS called Multi-Player BBS here in Cincinnati to play Doom2 and Duke Nukem. Just as the internet hit this BBS offered a nice PPP dial up internet connection for an hourly rate.. And wouldnt you know it right when I pre-paid for some time with $15.00 they go out of business and I never got my money back.. I think Gond had just paid $7.50 for some time as well.. Oh well it was fun while it lasted..

Me and Gond used a nice BBS called Multi-Player BBS here in Cincinnati to play Doom2 and Duke Nukem. Just as the internet hit this BBS offered a nice PPP dial up internet connection for an hourly rate.. And wouldnt you know it right when I pre-paid for some time with $15.00 they go out of business and I never got my money back.. I think Gond had just paid $7.50 for some time as well.. Oh well it was fun while it lasted..

Heh... I use to play a script D&D style game on a BBS, what, 18-20 years ago? Anyway, it was located in Baltimore. Heh, one month my friend's (always played at his house) father got a $750 phone bill due to all the hours of long distance phone use heh :). That was pretty much the end of my BBS days :wiggle2:

Shaftiel

Heh... I use to play a script D&D style game on a BBS, what, 18-20 years ago? Anyway, it was located in Baltimore. Heh, one month my friend's (always played at his house) father got a $750 phone bill due to all the hours of long distance phone use heh :). That was pretty much the end of my BBS days :wiggle2:

Shaftiel

Well my solution to long distance calls was to write a small program that called all the long distance carriers, put a random 7 digit code in and then try to call a BBS in California. If the modem connected to the computer in California it would print the long distance code onto my printer. I'd have the computer call all night and wake up with 15 calling card numbers.. That was all spoiled when they changed the number to 12 digit... What fun for a 12 yr old! I met guys in Germany that paid me $100 per episode of Simpsons that I taped and mailed to them every week during new episodes..

My BBS had 5 SFD-1001 1meg floppy drives and 2 1381 3.5 1 meg floppy drives made by Commodore.. Games were like money, and those calling card numbers got me all the newest cracked games from Germany. So my BBS was pretty popular..

But I loved the BBS door games like Empire, and Red Dragon. Tons of fun..

GC Alumni
(edited)
But I loved the BBS door games like Empire, and Red Dragon. Tons of fun..

If Red Dragon is the same one I'm thinking about... geez... I always wanted to play that as a kid. It was and is still my favorite door game.

I'm assuming you're talking about The Legend of the Red Dragon.

I spent a while on the second game just playing it by myself... the story was pretty cool back then.

JackieChan

Edited by JackieChan

I'd put open worlds higher up on my list. Playing Valkyrie Profile 2 drove me nuts trying to dodge stupid monsters (I hated fighting in that game) while looking at the jaw-dropping backgrounds. I like CG worlds for some reason. If they look cool/pretty, I like to stop and admire them for awhile, and it sucks when I can't get a good view of something that a developer clearly spent a long time on. Devil May Cry is another good perpetrator of this. A well placed double jump, and suddenly you're looking at a huge panoramic view of an immense gothic looking tower looming over a whole cityscape, it's awesome.

I wasn't on dial-up for long. My dad got cable really early in its stages. My first major online game was Quake 2 because I didn't play alot of pc back then anyway. I played for so long with the keyboard. Then I was like, "hey, I can aim with the mouse!" then I quit quake 2 after realizing what a fool I was and how horribly I'd embarrassed myself.