8800gt vs. 8800gts

Wolfsblood

Other than the size of the cards, (gts's being double slot cards) what are the main differences to these? I've found gts's for $269 with 640 ram, and gt's for the same price with 512 ram. Long ago I remember the adage to never buy parts with an "s" at the end because that meant they usually stunk. I've also seen gts's in the mid $300's so am unsure if the old adage still holds true. The other thing I've noticed is that the clock timings on the gts's seem to be lower than the gt's, sometimes considerably.

Thoughts? is the gts worth getting, or should I get the 8800gt?

You must be looking at the old model of the GTS (G80) if it's only $269. The new GTS models (G92) are faster but also cost more. The GT on the other hand are almost as fast as a GTX but with half the memory but are considerable cheaper. I would go for the GT over the older style GTS.

I like Toms VGA charts.

Edited by bushwack

You must be looking at the old model of the GTS (G80) if it's only $269. The new GTS models (G92) are faster but also cost more. The GT on the other hand are almost as fast as a GTX but with half the memory but are considerable cheaper. I would go for the GT over the older style GTS.

I like Toms VGA charts.

Thanks. I had been thinking the same thing. I'll check the Tom's article. :)

I have the older GTS running CoD4 maxed everything at 1920x1200 in dx10 and getting super smooth frames in a full server. I think either card (GT or g92 GTS) will be just fine for any game you're playing right now. I think the GTS will have more support though in the long run, and it'll run cooler with the heatsink it has.

I have the older GTS running CoD4 maxed everything at 1920x1200 in dx10 and getting super smooth frames in a full server. I think either card (GT or g92 GTS) will be just fine for any game you're playing right now. I think the GTS will have more support though in the long run, and it'll run cooler with the heatsink it has.

Infortunately the g92 GTS is out of my price range. :( the gt at $269 is about as high as I can go.

Hey, then no need to say unfortunately! The GT will do everything you want it to just fine! Just use riva to bump up the speed of the fan from 60% to 100% and you're good to go! You'll love the card.

Great just what I wanted to hear. Jumping from 2 6600gt's extreme edition to this should make me happy.

I thought you got one of the G92s Dark? I know they were out when you picked out your card.
Hey, then no need to say unfortunately! The GT will do everything you want it to just fine! Just use riva to bump up the speed of the fan from 60% to 100% and you're good to go! You'll love the card.
Great just what I wanted to hear. Jumping from 2 6600gt's extreme edition to this should make me happy.
I picked up a GT a few months ago and love it. I have a BFG with the stock fan, it does the job well. I run it with the temp control on and never hear the fan spin up. Also runs about 10C cooler then my old GTS while under load.

No, I got the 112SP G80. The G92 wasnt out yet at the time, it came out about a month later. Only difference is that the G92 has 128SP's instead of 112, (old g80 gts had 96), i have 640mb instead of 512, and my chip is larger (more heat). I still love mine.

Oh yeah, at the time the GT was around 269+ and the card I got was on sale for 279, plus i got a free crysis game, so that's what really sold me.

Edited by DarkArchon

I have the new 8800GT (512mb). I paid $289 for the overclocked version...the same now costs $259.

Based on the benching I've seen in real world games, the new GTS (G92 with 512mb) is running anywhere from 0-15 fps faster in todays hot game titles at 1600 x 1200 with AA/AF settings at medium. The cheapest GTS I've seen lately has been for $319 (with optional $20 mail in rebate) on newegg. For the extra $40-60, I don't think it makes much sense.

However, with the GTS you do get a two slot cooler (slightly longer card, then) but you also have (correct me if I'm wrong) to use two PCI-e power connectors.

I hear that the official unveiling of the next gen NVidia is gonna be on Feb 14...the 9800 gtx I think it is called. No specs on it yet, but probably will be in the $500+ range and will be 25-30% faster than the 8800GTX and 15% faster than the ridiculously priced 8800ultra.

I saw some spy footage of it somewhere on the intertoobs.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

Yeah, it'll be like the 7950 only with g92 cores I think. And AMD is coming out with the 3870X2 as well, which is supposed to JUST beat the 8800GT SLi setup, but cost around $400. Maybe ATI can do it right this time?

Edited by DarkArchon

However, with the GTS you do get a two slot cooler (slightly longer card, then) but you also have (correct me if I'm wrong) to use two PCI-e power connectors.
Mine has only one connector.Also the dual slot cooler exhausts air to the outside of the case, which is nice.

When I had the GTS with the dual slot cooler, I never felt any airflow come out the back of it. Even under load. But then again I didnt lick my finger first.

Yeah, it'll be like the 7950 only with g92 cores I think. And AMD is coming out with the 3870X2 as well, which is supposed to JUST beat the 8800GT SLi setup, but cost around $400. Maybe ATI can do it right this time?

True that...

I found a review of the 3870 X2 and it looks like (for now, change later after better drivers...?) that a single GTX > AMD new dually GPU.

Dang...down and out fo sho.

True that...

I found a review of the 3870 X2 and it looks like (for now, change later after better drivers...?) that a single GTX > AMD new dually GPU.

Dang...down and out fo sho.

depends what review you read... some i've seen say it's much quicker. depends on the game and the crossfire support.

Well, my 8800gt should get here tomorrow, or maybe thursday. This is the most I've spent on a single computer component, well, might actually equal the highest amount. When I bought the A8N-SLi Deluxe mobo 3 years ago, they'd only been out a month, and it was $270ish. This one was $274 with shipping, but at least the free game is one that I was wanting to play anyway. :) NWN 2.