Laptop

dragonfly

Ok, so my friend has an OLD IBM ThinkPad T21, and took it to a computer store cause it kept freezing apparently. They were gonna charge her $100 for a new HDD (which they said was the problem) and $50 to install it. She bought the drive and gave me the lappy to do for free.

I installed the HDD, piece of cake. I pop in her windows cd, boot the thing up, good to go so far.... FREEZES at 35 min left ever single time. I tried my XP cd as well, same deal.

Here's what I'm thinking: it's the RAM. I had a similar problem of freezing with that PC I built a few months ago for a camp, and it was the ram. What do you guys think?

Oh, and I tried to look up the ram info online. IBM only gave me this:

# 100 MHz front-side system bus with 100 MHz memory modules

# 128 MB of memory is standard

The system has 128 MB of memory standard and can be configured for up to 512 MB of addressable memory. Memory options up to

256 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs each can be added in the two available slots for memory expansion.

Can't find a compatibility chart anywhere. I feel bad she wasted $50 for them to tell her to buy a $100 drive she didnt need.

plz no mac comments - we're poor students. kthxbai :smillie_smilling:

*BUMP*

Edited by DarkArchon

Unfortunately IBM/Lenovo's technical support and warranty service is just as good as Apple's, which isn't saying much.

I found some PC100 (what I assume the T21 takes as it's 100mhz) at Tigerdirect for about $45 (kind of expensive compared to newer ram) that might fix it if it's really a memory problem.

Whether that's your problem or not I can't say...good luck!

take it back to the store and get her money back for the hard drive. then throw the laptop out and forget about it. you've already spent more money on hardware for it then it's actually worth. not to mention your time and effort.

btw, $100 for a laptop drive is REALLY expensive.