thermal paste -recommendations?

bushwack

It does get better with age...

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

bushwack, I use Arctic Silver 5 as well. Shipping can be a pain so must make sure to order it with your parts. Actually, on this last build (see the other thread where I posted stats), I just used the stock HSF and the thermal paste it had on it.