HL series stuttering

So I installed HL e1 and e2 in vista a while ago, and wow did they ever stutter even in the loading screen. Like, 3-5fps kind of stuttering. Not quite as bad as stuttering john, but you get the point.

That's ok, I'll just play portal. Same deal. Ok, that sucks. CoD4, UT3, UT2k4, Gears, all run smooth. Let's try step 2...

Boot into XP. Install portal. Stutter. Check my drivers - yep, up to date for sure.

I'm a noob when it comes to all things steam, so is there something I'm missing? HL2 works fine, it's e1, e2 and portal that are being dumb for me in both vista and xp. I've played through them both before too (in vista i do believe) but now they wont run. Help?

So I installed HL e1 and e2 in vista a while ago, and wow did they ever stutter even in the loading screen. Like, 3-5fps kind of stuttering. Not quite as bad as stuttering john, but you get the point.

That's ok, I'll just play portal. Same deal. Ok, that sucks. CoD4, UT3, UT2k4, Gears, all run smooth. Let's try step 2...

Boot into XP. Install portal. Stutter. Check my drivers - yep, up to date for sure.

I'm a noob when it comes to all things steam, so is there something I'm missing? HL2 works fine, it's e1, e2 and portal that are being dumb for me in both vista and xp. I've played through them both before too (in vista i do believe) but now they wont run. Help?

hdr?

(edited)

I had everything maxed my first time through, ran smooth as... something that runs smooth. I tried turning off all the extras and it's still stuttering :(

EDIT: It did this a few weeks ago. I tried the above fixes, turning things down, no dice. I even tried updating steam. I just opened portal now to test again just in case... works fine. Thanks for fixing it while I was out, cujo.

Edited by DarkArchon