Eurocup 2008

Xterminator

Heck yes I'm watching.

I'm pretty sure I want to see Spain or The Netherlands win. Spain simply because of Torres and The Netherlands because when they are on point they can play some incredibly beautiful football (tell me you saw the game against Italy and the Dutch's counter-attacking ability).

I have to watch the games after they happen though because of work and other commitments so no posting scores until a day later. :P

In my mind there are 6 teams that are far above the rest in skill. France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany and The Netherlands. If one of them doesn't win it I'd call it an upset.

Interesting thoughts playaa...So far this tournament has been a tournament of the underdogs...

I've never seen Italy play this bad nor France. Spain, Portugal and Germany are doing well.. The dutch are kickin butt! playing very well.

As for the under dogs. Croatia has qualified for quarter finals and has won their group. We'll be facing Turkey!

It's really a great tournament so far! I look forward to the knockout round.

Yeah...I'm actually hoping that Romania beat the Netherlands just so Italy and France don't make the knockout rounds. I really like France actually but I also really like an upset. :)

It's too bad that we can't have a Spain/Netherlands final...that would be some beautiful offensive football. They look like they will could meet up though in the second knockout round.

How'd you like the end of the Czech/Turkey game? :)

that would be an interesting final!

yeah the czech turkey game was insane! 2-0 lead up to the 80th minute was it? defence just collapsed for the czech and it costed them the cup. In a way i'm kind of happy because we get to play turkey now for quarter finals which should be fun and winable.

Today's matching will be interesting...France and Italy both need a win to advance so you better believe they're gonna give it their all, that's gonna be a great game...to bad i cant watch (at work).

Romania and Netherlands on the other hand will be interesting. If the Dutch bring out their reserves and rest their good players (which i imagine they will do to avoid taking any cards, even though all yellow's get wiped clean for knockout round) they'll want to avoid any injuries. With that being said, Romania will have an advantage against the not so experienced Dutch players, if they can win or at the very least tie...both italy and france will be eliminated! can't wait to see the results.

Yeah, the problem is that the bench for the Netherlands is still pretty offensively sick. I mean, Robin Van Persie and Arjen Robben have been the players coming off the bench. That's pretty bad for Romania.

Have you been watching Spain at all? Torres is sick. I think he's playing better than he was at Liverpool to be honest...he just hasn't opened up heavy scoring yet. To be fair 2 of Villa's hat trick were basically all down to the work of Torres anyway. He's beating defenders like they don't exist. I has a man-crush.

yeah the netherlands bench has great players dont get me wrong. Romania just has more at stake though. You can expect Mutu and Chivu to step up their game a notch (along with the rest of the team).

I've watched very little of spain, Torres is phenomenal. I'm sure he'll get a couple goals in elimination round, Villa already has 4...thats enough for him :D

what are your thoughts today for France and Italy....I still think it'll be a tie but if i had to give it away i'd say Italy will take it.

I think that Italy are playing about as bad as they have in the last 5 years right now. The question is whether they can step up when they need to. I believe they can but I don't know if they will.

Personally I believe France are the better team (and were in the World Cup as well) but Italy play a style of football that just stifles France. Alot of the Italian players play in the Italian league which is very defensive and they bring that to the national team. France like space and free-flowing football.

I personally believe that on paper it will never be anything but a draw...the problem is that accidents happen. France seems like the team that will have more accidents than Italy but I really want France to win it and crush the Italians hearts. Sorry...still bitter about the World Cup where I felt they barely played football...they just played "let's sit back here and make sure nothing bad happens"...also I hate Materazzi.

once again Italy snuck in under the radar....they've had those the last couple tournaments.....it's like a hail mary play that always works. I dont see them getting past spain though. As for the Portugal upset...that was crazy! i watched the highlights.....Germany did a complete 180 from when they played Croatian in 1st round.

I was saying it since the beginning of the tournament that Schwiensteiger is dangerous. He got 1 goal and setup the other 2....who ever plays germany in semi-finals will have to keep a close on him more so than Ballack, Podolski and Klose (who also shouldn't be left alone).

I'm excited for today's game though, my team is playing Turkey! I hope we do well!

I'm excited for today's game though, my team is playing Turkey! I hope we do well!

Well that ended awkwardly for you.

The Spain Italy game was pretty good. The ref was just abysmal though...I am pretty sure that Spain should have had 3 penalties and could have had valid shouts for 2 more and they didn't get a single one. Torres looked like he was just playing with the defense but (typically of Italy) they just had so many back that there was always one more in his way no matter how many he beat.

no, i dont think spain deserved a penalty....at least nothing stood out in my memory; all i remembered was villa was rightfully booked for simulation

and the game, at least for a neutral like me, was terrible; italy was desparately missing passes and creativity from the midfield from the absent pirlo; luca toni was slow and lumbering in the counterattack; spain didnt look like it really wanted to finish and score a goal; del piero was brought on way too late

if they are supposed to be some of the world's best teams, they should provide more excitement; i was hoping for spain to score so italy would attack

Villa was definitely "simulating" but Torres got his shirt pulled in the box (would have been a soft penalty but by the book it was a penalty), Villa was literally put in a bear hug 3 times on corners or free kicks inside the box and the most obvious one was when David Silva had his foot stomped on at the edge of the box and the ref just told him to get up. Basically it seemed like the ref had a different rule set in mind inside the box and outside the box...I HATE those kind of refs.

And to be honest...very rarely are games against the world greats actually really exciting. Especially when Italy are involved. They're usually lumbering, slow games where everyone is trying harder not to lose than to win.

Torres is freakin brilliant. One of the most impressive (if unlucky) players of the tournament. Definitely looked better than Villa all tournament long and last night he looked like he could have scored another 2 goals if he'd have been left on.

Good final in my opinion.

:)