New ATI/AMD and Nvidia cards the past couple of weeks

I am kind of surprised no one has posted up about this. Today, ATI has released their two latest video card models. The HD 4850 and 4870. Their prices are 199 and 299 respectively. The 4850 out performs the 9800 gtx and the 8800 gt in most every game at the same price point as the 9800 gtx and gt. The 4870 beats them all fairly easily and competes in a dead heat and in many cases beats Nvidia's new 260 model which is priced at $399. Of course Nvidia has a new 280 model that beats them all but it is priced at $650 or higher which is quite ridiculous.

From what I am seeing, ATI finally has a card that I would recommend over all others when you compare price/performance. ATI looks to finally be back in the game after what seems like forever.

Check out the ATI review at HardOCP: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

I'm not in the market to get a new card...I've read the reviews for the Nvidia cards (going to read AMD's at Hardocp in a moment) and they are nice but I don't need one right now.

--- After reading the AMD Review ---

Wow, go AMD! They will kill if they can stick with those prices. Who here would pay upwards of $700 dollars for a single video card? Not me.

I love competition and this hopefully will work to our benefit by keeping AMD/Nvidia innovating while bring down prices.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughterâ„¢-TopBrass

I hope their drivers have overcome some of the issues I had with them in the past (hl.exe used to crash every day, for example)!

my hl2 still crashes on quit if that's what you're referring too. happens on both ati and nvidia cards.

if i could sell my 8800gtx for 300 right now i'd buy one of these 4870s. though i'm really waiting on a 1gb version. i've sworn i'll never go back to 512mb of ram.

I hope their drivers have overcome some of the issues I had with them in the past (hl.exe used to crash every day, for example)!

my hl2 still crashes on quit if that's what you're referring too. happens on both ati and nvidia cards.

if i could sell my 8800gtx for 300 right now i'd buy one of these 4870s. though i'm really waiting on a 1gb version. i've sworn i'll never go back to 512mb of ram.

My hl never crashed on quit until my new machine with vista, or maybe it always crashed silently on quit so I never noticed? I just kind of figured it's looking at a integer return code from the app, and hl for some reason gives a nonzero response.