Ghosting....

7otenkopf

I wanted to make a post about the accusations of ghosting that have been flying around lately on the server. It seems that anytime someone is in a clan, and they kill a camper, the assumption is that they were ghosting. In fact, I've been accused by gc's and regulars (most recently Chenzen) that I was ghosting many times recently, and I'd like to clear up that I dont ghost for clanmates, and no one in my clan does either (-=RP=-). Please stop accusing people of ghosting, it's poor sportsmanship, and you shouldn't assume people are doing it just cause you cant figure out how they knew where you were. Remember, when you kill someoene, there is a little X on the radar, and if the teammate saw you before they died, you showup on the radar as well. If you just killed someone from a corner, and dont move, and their teammate comes to find you and checks the "usual" spots... dont complain that they are ghosting, it's just weak.

I know most of you dont care if any does or not, but I'd like to find out what some of you think about ghosting. I find that servers that dont allow you to see whats going on after you die to be boring, because you cant see the whole picture of the battle and being dead isnt as fun. However, allowing dead people to see the action on both sides opens up exploits by using ventrillo for friends to tell others where people are. Personally, I find someone telling me where people are to be more distracting, and I only approve of it when the last guy isnt going for the objective (Zan/GunsforHire). Often, I try to play under the assumption that I'm being ghosted, and really dont care if other people do because I dont camp one spot as much as most people. I try to move around and check my back often, and most of all, rotate after a kill. Does anyone else feel that ghosting has ruined CS pubs? Or do you feel that ghosting is totally acceptable? I dont think it's against the posted GC rules.. and in some cases, if admins wont slay people for not going for objectives....

personally, i prefer servers that use forcecam (or whatever it's called - dead specs can only follow their team). i'm really not sure why people don't like this, but it wasn't received well when i enabled it the other night. *shrug*

people who aren't admins shouldn't be throwing around any sort of rule enforcement. i'll ask chentzen to stop, and please let me know specifically who else is giving you a hard time.

by the way, i view ghosting like hacking. if we can prove it, it's a perm ban for everyone involved. doesn't sound like this applies to you or anyone in -=rp=-, but a fair warning none the less.

(edited)

It's not in the rules? I think it's probably covered under something.. not exploiting weaknesses in the game to your advantage.. something along those lines.

Regardless, I don't ever see us going to a team only spec cam when dead... regardless of what SJ wants.. I think you lose too much interaction between dead specs and the enjoyment of dead spec'ing altogether.

Besides, I don't think it's ever really that big of a problem in GC, as 70-80% of the players on our servers are regulars or members and know that it is not allowed. I've never seen anyone kicked or banned for it, because it's just too hard to prove.. actualy there was one instance with a group of players that you could tell were obviously ghosting. It was a 1 v 2 or, 2 v 2 situation.. and a player made a very decisive action that they would have no reason to do unless they were getting information from dead specs... I submitted a ban request for that? btw thanks for handling that SJ..

I'm surprised that chen would just be throwing out random ghosting accusations.. he's got alot of years under his belt in this game i'm pretty sure he knows how the radar works.

Edited by mohawk

thanks for the replies, I appreciate the feedback. If I get anymore accusations I'll be sure to post it. I've been a regular on GC for years and really enjoy playing with you guys, yet was getting sick of people accusing me of ghosting when I dont. If anything, I get killed from people chatting in my vent channel while I'm still alive, and I think it's frustrating getting accused of something you didnt do or even support.

On a somewhat related topic, cause I feel this is the only time ghosting is appropriate, why are the admins on GC so apposed to slaying people that arent going for the objectives? I've tried giving Lunk a hard time for it, and he said it's cause he doesnt want to "deal" with the complaining that follows (cant say I blame him). Is that how most of you guys feel about it? - is it acceptable for people to hang outside a bombsite and try to pick off kills. I always supported the "Try or Die" method to enforce objectives :D What I'm noticing from a few regulars now is they hang outside the kill zone til the last moment to pick off people running away, then make a token attempt to defuse and die from the blast. Sure is a cheap way to boost your rank....

from what i've seen, the ppl usually gets a msg from admin chat to start moving towards the objective or will get a 0 dmg slap

and sometimes it is useful to stay outside the blast radius and pick ppl off, especially if you have an awp AND there is no way you can defuse the bomb in time; its better to fight another day

and if you start slaying that, we should also start slaying ppl who bait their teammates during rushes (not that i'm opposed to that kind of slaying...)

nobody can speak for lunk besides lunk. everyone has their own style of adminning, but in some way, i think we all enforce completing the objectives. it is one of our rules.

on a somewhat related topic, i really, really appreciate it when someone realizes that admins are players, too, and point out something we might not notice. i really, really do not appreciate it when people assume admins are able to see everything going on at every moment. admins are supposed to be hosts, and hosts are supposed to make sure people are having fun at the party. sometimes this means taking more of a leader role and rallying your team. other times it means taking out the trash. sometimes it's difficult to do both at the same time. this is an "at large" comment, and not specifically geared towards you, 'kopf.

just saw this:

and sometimes it is useful to stay outside the blast radius and pick ppl off, especially if you have an awp AND there is no way you can defuse the bomb in time; its better to fight another day

i agree with that - i'm not going to slay someone for recognizing defeat, but i will slay/bomb/beacon someone who conveniently finds themselves in this situation time and time again.

and yes, we're all talking about zan, i think.

Actually, GunsforHire is much worse than Zan. I think Zan has been getting so much heat that he's stopped his old ways.

I know what you mean about baiting being slayable, but some of my friends and I intentionally bait each other. For example, one guy hides to the side of a doorway, the other makes noise and draws the enemy in past said doorway... It works well in scrims and on pubs alike, and could be mistaken for not "helping", but we know exactly what we are doing. I would think slaying people for hiding in corners during a gunfight and not moving up could be hard to enforce cause "smart" playing can easily be seen as typical baiting. It's just frustrating on a starting push, and only 2 guys go out and after you die, you look on the radar to see 4 people "watching our backs" when there is no way the enemy could come from behind that fast :P Teamplay/common sense is so hard to enforce....

I think the "baiting" sj is talking about is when you initiate a rush and right before entering the doorway to the fight, you veer off and let your teammates go it, weaken the enemy (and take many hits) then you rush in to mop up. ("You" being the universal "you" not you specifically 7otenkopf.

I think the "baiting" sj is talking about is when you initiate a rush and right before entering the doorway to the fight, you veer off and let your teammates go it, weaken the enemy (and take many hits) then you rush in to mop up. ("You" being the universal "you" not you specifically 7otenkopf.

since when am i sj? my avatar is so much Holier than his :)

true, zan has actually gotten better when it comes to objectives... he very seldom sits and just gets exit kills..

he does, however, still join the CT side and play the same spot over and over and over again, which just gets to be hilarious because it's so much fun to prefire him, kill him, and ask him if he found a new spot?

I think most admins have been cracking down on the objectives lately.. however, as SJ said.. sometimes we can't see all.. usually when i'm dead i'm either watching the guy who killed me or i'm up getting a beer..

... no admin is going to be annoyed if you give em a little teamchat @ heads up

You ghost, I hack...

Put up the careface @_@ and move on.

Chentzen has been playing as long/longer then I have. If he says your ghosting there is a good chance its true. We have both seen so much we can tell someone cheating only dieing to them 1 time. I'm not saying you were ghosting or he was right, however we know when stuff is up. But like you said, if he's dead he can't see everything you can... Plus he smokes... a bunch. (by the way, I was not playing or even around when this was happening, only my history with Chen and myself as players are involved)

Yeah ghosting sucks in pubs, and you can tell when it's blatant, and there is nothing you can do about it other then tell an admin "something fishy is going on". You'll learn to just play the game with no sound, crank up the metal, and ignore what anyone types to you before long.