Working Out

Squinty

Hey, I just realized we had a fitness/health conscious forum in here, and i figured I'd come in and post. I'm actually trying to go to school for personal training (eventually want to be in the IFBB/own my own gym) so if anybody else has questions for me/advice that they can give me, just get at me here or through PM. I've been into working out since around senior year in Highschool, and then gained the typical freshman 15, and now trying to work it back off, but i figured coming in here would bring on some newfound ambition haha.

Squinty

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't checked this thread in a while, glad to see a couple people replied :). I was looking through some of my FLEX magazines and they have a lot of advertisements for www.bodyspace.com... It's like myspace for the workout-enthusiast. I usually use it for inspiration, it's an interesting site :)

Squinty >.<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my last post in here was sep 5. Its now Oct 24, im up 5 lbs, gained another 1inch on my arms.

I am up to 6 sets of 5 pullups with alternating grips mixed with elevated feet pushups on the 15-14-13-12....to 1, then 1, 2 , 3, 4, .... back up to 15

Depending on the day i will do like 5 sets of 8or10 dips. I rest as little as possible during my workout so that my arms are warm and the heartrate stays up. I try to burn through everything quickly and controlled. I've been playing around with this for a few montsh now and it seems to be working for me.

I can rattle out the dips, pushups, and pullups in less then 30mins and im dead beat tired. If i could show what this simple workout has done to my bod in a short amount of time you wouldn't believe it. I only gained 12-15lbs but it's all in my arms and back. I do all of the reps slow down, slow up, squeezin the muscles i am working. So not only has this given me more mass in places i wanted, it's cut-up looking mass.

I dont mess with many free weights but do have some. My heaviest dumbells is 40lbs and i can curl that 8-9 times per arm. I picked up a 45lb and could curl that 5 times beore exhausion. To put it in perspective, 3 months ago i bought 20lb'ers and started with the going 8-9 per arm at 5 sets. So in a realitively short amount of time my actual strenght gains are fairly impressive. To myself atleast. I never though a smaller guy like myself would be curling 140lbs on a straight bar so quickly.

I rest 4 days a week and murder my muscles mon-wed-fre. I also drink IsoMass shakes eveyday + a multi vitamin. Gotta eat good, and burn those muscles up when your working out. I try not to even take any breaks between things. Just go go go. All slow controlled motions while lifting, not pushing through your reps as fast as possible is working great for me. I actually have muscualr arms now days instead of spagetti strings. :) If i wear a wife beater or cutoff shirt to work, i def notice that other people notice too. ;)

Way to go kill3r. I've been trying to keep up with stuff, but when I get stressed I tend to eat bad. Most of that is over with now, and hopefully I get back on my diet (nothing specific, just eating better foods).

I've put on about 1/2 an inch on both my arms in the past month, putting me up to 17 on the right and about 16 1/2 on the left (can't get it to catch up haha). Chest is about 43 around (want to get it about 46 or so by the end of november). Only problem I have is my waist, I tend to eat bad so i'm not losing anything there, and I've been avoiding cardio lately. If you do cardio with your workouts, try to keep it to AFTER the workout, you'll burn more calories/fat that way.

One thing I do for size (on any exercise) after I stop making dramatic gains, is I'll do a 5x5x5 workout. You'll use a medium weight (something you can normally do about a set of 20 with) and pump out 5 really fast reps (helps with the twitch reflex and strength), then pump out 5 slow reps, then the last 5 i'll do normal speed. That all counts as 1 set, and if you do 2 sets of these for the first week, and then bump or to 3 or 4, you should really sea gains in size and strength. i've been doing that for bench/curls/tri's/back for the past week andi 've noticed a huge strengthgain. The super7's are really nice as well.

Use the same amount of weight as the 5x5x5, but for the first 7 reps, go from starting position (fully extended) to the halfway point, the second set go from 50% to the finish point, and then the last 7 go at a slower pace, pausing at the peak of the exercise and concentrate on flexing the muscle.

for the 5x5x5, i'll usually do that for a month, then go back to normal sets, throwing in the super7's twice a week (I work out 6 days a week, with 1 rest day... sometimes I do cardio o nthe rest day, depending on the mood)

If you try those, you should definitely notice improvements

Squinty >.<

Nice. my arms are 15 when flexed but im a small guy by nature. I wrestled 103lbs for 3 years in high school. Im up to 142lbs now at 5feet 10in at 26years old. When i started lifting a 3 maybe 4 months ago now i was at like 125-128lbs. Target weight is another 15 lbs on the chest arms and back. Ill keep that in mind if i stop making gains. Fortunately for me, i've never had a problem with fat. I eat 2k calories on off days and closer to 3000 on workout days and can't tell that ive put on any sloppy weight yet.

I should add chest fly's into my workout if they are giving you good gains. I've heard keeping your skin moisturized and with vitamin E will help keep the stretch marks to a minimum. So far i don't have any and i've put on some good weight in a short time.

About diet i hear you. When i first started back working out i ate fast food for every meal. Now i eat almost exclusively at home. I used to be addicted to some drugs that i kicked too, and that also brought back my motivation to live a better life including eating more and better. That alone probably has something to do with the quick gains i saw in the first 2 months.

See, I eat slightly less in calories on my off day, and about 3000 on my workout days as well, which is strange, because i'm 6' about 220 haha. give or take 10lbs depending on the week. One of these days I'll get a picture posted up, I just need to find my camera =\ lost it like 6 weeks ago, and have never gotten up the courage to look for it.

Squinty >.<

Bleah, been getting lazy lately. Haven't worked out for a bout a week, and I have a feeling it shows haha. Have a formal friday, and I'm afraid I might not fit into my suit. Figured posting would remind me that I need to keep on it... so Here goes. I've been taking supplements on and off lately, but never strictly. Just started with Xenadrin RFA-X hardcore (thermogenic), and i'm noticing major boosts in energy, and my appetite has definately gone down since I started last week. Hopefully I remember to stick with it and get down to 6% body fat by the new year

Squinty >.<

Bleah, been getting lazy lately. Haven't worked out for a bout a week, and I have a feeling it shows haha. Have a formal friday, and I'm afraid I might not fit into my suit. Figured posting would remind me that I need to keep on it... so Here goes. I've been taking supplements on and off lately, but never strictly. Just started with Xenadrin RFA-X hardcore (thermogenic), and i'm noticing major boosts in energy, and my appetite has definately gone down since I started last week. Hopefully I remember to stick with it and get down to 6% body fat by the new year

Squinty >.<

I commend that you are working out... because it's something everyone needs to do to be healthy.. take a multi vitamin and get back in the gym... if you do it for 3 weeks straight... 3/4 trips per week you'll get in a habit and you won't want to miss a regiment. if you can get a buddy to go with to keep you occupied... it can be weird sometimes working out alone.

I am all for weight lifting but i find that you get more energy and overall health gain doing cardio. I play maybe 30 hrs or so of basketball a week and i am just starting full court basketball and I am feeling great. I have always loved playing the game but now i really want to take it to the next level and playing all the time is getting me in shape and giving me something to do.

I need to get back into the weight room though =x.

See, I like cardio, but I odn't like running outside,a nd our basketball court at my apt complex is under construction. It's also usually occupied, and I usually do drills, not much of a player anymore.

As for hitting the gym, It's a secret ambition of mine to be a pro bodybuilder lol. So Weights is a MUST. I just don't have the focus for it right now. Once I get on a more steady routine I'll definitely hit up the gym anymore. I keep meaning to post up pictures of past vs. now, I just never remember about it.

Squinty >.<

oh man.. i wish i had a pic of me 3 years ago with no shirt on.. I am not big now but compared to 3 years ago, much bigger. This pic was like 2 months ago so im about 8lbs heavier now, i was about 138 lbs in this pic, im at 145 now but i haven't lifted in over a week. I need to get start again i was really starting to get somewhere. I got wrapped up with work and the girlfriend and have totally forgotten about working out. I'll start back tomm !!!! I like the results, and the way it makes me feel.

Don't laugh, im skinny, but believe it or not... i use to weigh 110lbs 3 years ago and thought i was healthy.

view005.jpg

CRIKIESSS !!! Sorry its so BIG lol.

Edited by All Kill3r

• 8 months later...