NEED HELP PLZ!!!

Clueless

Ok..here is the short of it...I have an Acer Aspire 3000 series laptop that I loaned to someone and it got some serious spyware/malware issues and needs reformatted. Now...the backup/copy of Windows XP is an image on the hard drive...no disc, pretty neato actually, EXCEPT that because I have Ubuntu installed and made it a dual boot system...that whole boot sector is reconfigured, changed, whatever...but generally unaccessable. I even tried to use a Win95 boot CD to no avail...

I am donating this laptop to a girl that Deb works with that is going to college, working, raising a baby, needs a pc but is short on cash, and she needs it pretty fast. Can someone help me outta this mess? I need to clean install windows and remove Linux...

Thanks in advance!

Well if you have a copy of windows just start from scratch. I had a similar issue with someone's older HP PC where the COA key did not work with an xp sp1 or 2 install disk so I "borrowed" a cd key from a friend and got it all installed and ready to update. If you are stuck buying an OS windows home basic can be purchased for around $50 here.

Otherwise talk with acer support and see if they offer the install as a DL.

You cant just "uninstall" linux, just like you cant "uninstall" windows, it is an OS.

Do you have the product key for Windows? It may be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop. If you have that, just get a copy of xp from a friend or bittorrent. Use your own CD key, and it is still legit. Make sure you get the same version (home / pro) that your license is for, and you will be good to go.

That or just leave the Linux on it ;)