Can I install....

Laz.e.rus

Can I install Windows Vista Ultimate over the top of my existing installation of XP without destroying everything?

I mean....will it "update" it, or will it wipe it all out?

Looks like there will soon be a sweet deal on the ultimate version on Sept 8th, I wanna know if I can use it without redo-ing all of my software, partitions, raid setups, etc.

Vista does a fresh install when when you do an upgrade. It performs a "migration wizard" or migwiz, puts the data in a separate partition while it installs the OS, then transfers it all back in. Much different from the XP/2000 days of upgrades. It is still better to do a non upgrade install though as it is quicker and you are less likely to get program failures and the like.

Vista does a fresh install when when you do an upgrade. It performs a "migration wizard" or migwiz, puts the data in a separate partition while it installs the OS, then transfers it all back in. Much different from the XP/2000 days of upgrades. It is still better to do a non upgrade install though as it is quicker and you are less likely to get program failures and the like.

True, but I will have to find and install mobo drivers, raid stuff, all normal drivers, AMD dual-cpu fixes ( I forget which I do and dont want), lose all of my "specially" received and installed software, re-setup partitions??, ..... uggh.

I wouldnt even know where to begin anymore. I mean, thats like 100 gigs of software....programs not music etc..installed stuff.

Bleh

Geez....allz I want is to make my C partition bigger ( or make c and e one drive letter again- no partitions), get a vid card like a 4850 or 260, and get vista. Is that really so much to ask without spending a month re-installing, re-aquiring, re-tweaking, eesh

buy an external hard drive, swap over everything to said hard drive. Delete all partitions, install new and fresh OS. You can get a 200gb hard drive for like $40 now and an enclosure for like $15. Heck newegg has a 500gb hard drive on sale right now for $70 w/ free shipping then grab this and for $85 you have an external 500gb hard drive. Personally I had bad luck with the "deathstar" line back a few years ago but I hear a lot of folks swear by them now. I'ld spend $5 more and gt the western digital 500gb hard drive.

If this isn't your thing maybe you should just buy a pancake box of DVD-Rs and begin archiving everything and then reformat and begin again :)