My new photography toy

NOFX

(edited)

I've been shooting my DSLR since may of 09. I've gone through numerous lenses. and have been able to learn quite a bit about photography.

Sigma 10-20mm

Tamron 17-50mm

Tamron 28-75mm

Canon 55-250mm

Canon 50mm

Canon 18-55mm IS

More often than not, I would just wait and hop on a good deal on a lens and then resell it for more later..

Right now the only lens I have is the 18-55mm IS. My original thinking was that my camera was to heavy with the other len's and I just wanted something light to make it easier to carry. I've been using the 18-55m for a few months now and I will say it's an excellent lens and will produce much better photo's than a point and shoot. But I will go ahead and say if your into photography and out of all the len's listed above, the Tamron 17-50mm/2.8 wins hands down.

After using the much lighter 18-55mm IS for a while, I realized that it's not the lens, but the camera is the reason I'm not taking as many photos as I want. It is bulky and a pain to carry around when going places, it also attracts quite a bit of attention which I'm not really looking for.

So I sold my remaining lenses and picked up one of these bad boys. Should be here next week :) I'm not expecting it to replace DSLR quality images, but I'm expecting it to be in with me more than the DSLR. Also, now that I have something to carry with me that is light, I will probably re trade my 18-55 IS for another Tamron 17-50/2.8 for the times that I do bring out the DSLR

Canon-G10.jpg

Edited by .fx

I've been shooting my DSLR since may of 09.

WHAT THE EFF?! GET OUT, YOU TIME TRAVELING DEMON!

...that does look like a nice travel camera, esp. when you don't want to lug around all your expensive camera gear and potentially get it stolen. Be sure to post up your impressions after you get it!

THIS THREAD IS NSFW!!! LABEL IT NAO!!!!!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Canon ftw, that's a very nice compromise for the times when a DSLR is a little TOO much camera.

I don't think I've ever seen someone flip and trade stuff with the frequency that you do. :biglaugha:

(edited)

my bad, may of 08!! the G10 is pretty much the leader of point and shoots. RAW capabilities, manual controls... and yes boiler I think I have a problem..

Since June of 2005. I have owned 6 different vehicles and a motorcycle... I like trading stuff around.. Find a good deal on something, use it, sell it for more. It's a little work, but hey I get to play with all sorts of toys

Edited by .fx

meh, its a point and shoot. A 14.7 megapixel P&S. It's also a little large for a P&S, but I wear baggy pants so it can fit in my pocket(it may look like I'm happy to see you though).. I have to say the ISO noise is awful above 200. It's second best for a P&S, but it is absolutely horrible compared to a DSLR. Panasonic also makes the LX3, which has a 35mm equiv. 24-60mm and f/2.0-2.8 lens. The G10 is 28-140 equiv with a f/2.8-4.5. The panasonic's noise level at 400 is about the same as the G10 at 200, plus it has an extra stop with the 2.0 lens. With that said, you would expect to be a full two stops faster with the panasonic in the same lighting.

I'm happy with the G10 because I can shoot in RAW...Although the Panasonic is faster, it's not made as sturdy and has a lens cap(which was a major turn off for me).. Even though it is a little faster, I'm sure it has nothing on a DSLR either. I will just stick with the G10 until they start putting larger sensors and less megapixels into the P&S's...

• 1 month later...