Ah Tech Support...

[LaW]Maverick

I know it's been a while since I've been around (life has been a bit busy for me lately), but my recent tech support experience has obligated me to share with you so that you can all get a laugh. Here's the convo:

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Jake'

Jake: Hello, how may I help you?

Quinton Lawman: Hi, I was on with support the other night and after trying several things, we thought we had my MagicJack working

Quinton Lawman: however, minutes after I closed the chat window, it was already malfunctioning again

Quinton Lawman: As I have tried different phones and different computers all with the same results (even both Vista and XP) I am hoping to just get my MagicJack replaced

Jake: I see.

Jake: Would you allow me to help you resolve this problem again Quinton?

Quinton Lawman: well, I don't actually have the MagicJack here in front of me, as I am at work, but we rely on that as our home phone number, and seeing as I've tried several computers (4 to be exact), and different models of handsets, I'm fairly certain the problem lies with the MagicJack itself

Quinton Lawman: I've even cleared out the registry of MagicJack related entries and reinstalled the software without fixing the problem

Quinton Lawman: in other words, I think our MagicJack dongle is simply defective

Quinton Lawman: especially since it worked fine for months then just started to randomly fail

Jake: I may suggest that your chat us back when the magicjack is with you so that we can fix it and do troubleshooting. Do not worry Quinton, we are always here to help you.

Jake: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Quinton Lawman: I guess not--but I don't see what else can be done.

Jake: We will help you with that problem. Please don't hesitate to chat us back when you already have the magicjack with you.

Jake: Thank you for stopping by to chat, I hope I did a good job at addressing your concerns. Please take a second to answer a one question survey about the service I provided. Please click the "close" button on the top right of this screen and the survey will appear. Thanks again!

(I'm Quinton, by the way)

What a tool.... :) We had gone though everything already with the previous tech support guy--they even wanted me to switch my processor scheduling to give priority to background programs! Nothing worked, I just want a replacement...is that so much to ask?

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

Ouch.

My suggestion would be to call them rather than do the online chat thing if you can. Then if you get someone who's accent is impossible to understand, tell them to get someone who can speak English. Worked for me with HP tech (un)support at work. Had a defective monitor and the tech kept asking me to check if it was on and plugged in. Duh, it was on and then went black all by itself. After complaining that they needed to put someone who could speak English, she put an obviously Indian man on the phone who had an accent that was very understandable. I gave him the same part numbers that I'd given 2 different tech previously, and he then told me that that model had a defective part that caused it to shut down randomly (Gee, exactly what I told the other tech was happening) He got a new monitor sent out that day, and we sent the old one back.

Judging from your chat log, either you were speaking to a robot, or someone in India who speaks English as a 3rd language at best. That type of service is simply unacceptable and you need to try to get to the next level of support at the very least.

Best of luck dude. :)

Could your real name be any more awesome?

I saw that infomercial for MagicJack months ago and was amazed (mostly that it's an infomercial for something actually useful/worth buying) and now most of my relatives in the US use it as their home phone, just seems crazy...wish I had invented/invested in it.

I've been successful in the past making stuff up - if they asked me to do the same thing I had tried 3 times already, I'd say "hang on... nope, didn't work" until they RMA'd it. Then the new one would work fine.

They may ask for a serial/model number, make sure you have those handy if you try to do this.

Yeah but in customer service you can not just assume that the person you are talking to is telling the truth and whole truth. It would be poor to just take your word for it and replace something that didn't need replacing. They don't know that you actually tried the things you say or that you are competent to do so (which I am sure you did and you are, but he doesn't know that). How many people do you think just start the whole process with "I tried everything and I am sure it is broken, please replace" without actually doing anything? It is annoying for you but I don't blame their process at all.

Could your real name be any more awesome?

I saw that infomercial for MagicJack months ago and was amazed (mostly that it's an infomercial for something actually useful/worth buying) and now most of my relatives in the US use it as their home phone, just seems crazy...wish I had invented/invested in it.

Hahaha...thanks. Yeah, ours worked fantastically for a long time--have it hooked up to an EeePC to use minimal power and it has no moving parts to go wrong (SSHDD and what not). It's pretty slick. Now I just need it replaced :)

Unclean: I think I'll try that next time some idiot does that to me. :)