Unknown File Type

I'm having trouble with opening/ identifying a certain file type. My dad got it from his brother, who doesn't know what it is either, so he showed it to me to figure out how to open it.

The format is (.pps_=), without the parentheses. I don't know what the "_=" is for. I've never seen this format before; right now, it's associated with Internet Explorer, but my dad can't open it with that. I tried googling what this is, but all I get for results is .pps, which is associated with Powerpoint (which my uncle and dad do have), Paintshop Pro, Arcview, and Personal Producer Storyboard.

Is this just Powerpoint? Or is it one of the other 3? I want to say it's Arcview out of the other 3 formats, but I don't know. :shrug03:

Thanks for any help.

Did your dad's brother make the file? It sounds like a potentially infected file, so run a virus scan on it first.

If the virus scan comes back ok, try renaming it to .pps and see if it opens in powerpoint.

I second this. If it comes back clean from the scan, sounds like a simple file type rename should do the trick.