My laptop is on Fire!

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite P105-S9722

Graphics Card: Geforce Go 7900 GS

Drivers: 179.48 Beta (Latest and greatest form February 11th 2009)

For about the last 6 months (hehe :) ) my laptop has been running really hot. Its the GPU, its running at around 100°C (that's not a typo), and I can't find a way to speed up the fan using either the drivers or RivaTuner. The fan runs full blast until I get into Windows and ACPI kicks in and drops the fan speed way down. I know the heat issue will shorten the length of time the GPU will remain viable. This is a work laptop so modifying it physically is kid of out of the question. Software wise, we can do whatever.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Sgt. Slaughterâ„¢-TopBrass

well it's been about 6 months since your drivers were released. they were beta at the time. perhaps updating them to the latest and greatest would solve your issues.

well it's been about 6 months since your drivers were released. they were beta at the time. perhaps updating them to the latest and greatest would solve your issues.

As far as I know the one's I have are the the latest...I check Nvidia's website pretty regularly for my home computer and my laptop.

Apparently Toshiba laptops are notorious for being a pain to get apart. I've tried to take it apart before with no luck. I have examined the intakes and exhausts and they appear clear. The CPU exhaust is clear (it runs constantly and has good air flow).

Cujo, I will give that website a try right now.

Thanks for the help!

Side note about laptop drivers...only the manufacturer's drivers have the correct fan configurations etc. That's the danger behind unsigned drivers from laptopvideo2go. Generally it's not an issue but if you're having overheating issues, I would highly recommend doing as much research as you can if you plan to use drivers from anyone other than Toshiba.

Also, as Cujo sort of mentioned but didn't elaborate...nVidia does not supply laptop drivers in most cases, they leave that up to the manufacturer (as mentioned before, different manufacturers use different hardware configurations of the same GPUs, different fan sizes, placement etc.) So get the latest drivers from Toshiba or make sure other people with similar hardware have provided positive feedback when getting drivers from laptopvideo2go.

Just my 2cents