Video card went kaplooey

Preacher

Well last night after spending over an hour and a half running wires into the family room I went to hook my PC up to the TV so we could watch movies and stuff from the PC to the TV without moving the PC into the room, I went to plug my cable into the TV-IN on the back of my mom's old 32" Sanyo TV when I saw a lovely little arc of electricity go from the TV to the cable connector. Needless to say when I powered on the PC the fan on my Visiontech ATI 4870 went to full speed like it always does at start-up but never slowed and no longer produces a picture. I do have the benefit of using a micro-atx mobo so I had on-board video to use, but I still wanted to weep like a lost child.

Here is my question, does anyone have an extremely cheap or free card I might be able to buy/trade for. I would like to be able to play STALKER. The very best my PC's on-board graphics will do is CS:S and it sucks lol. For those who don't know, I'm in a "transitional" period in my life right now since my wife took off and left me and the kids with no explanation. I just moved again and am currently unable to work in ministry do to my personal garbage that I'm dealing with and having done nothing but ministry for the last 9 years leaves me with mostly unmarketable job history. Plus the economic climate in St. Louis here is not real conducive to finding quick gainful employment.

Ok so I'm begging lol, so if you can hook a brotha up I'd be more than grateful.

The warranty is only good for original purchaser (requires copy of invoice) and is only a 2 year for Visiontech. I've had it a year and it belonged to my friend Lee for about as long if I recall. I've tried to get in touch with him for an RMA but to no avail so far. I actually think it's too old anyway though so it's out of warranty.

The card does not boot at all. The fan runs but I'm guessing it's fried because I literally saw the spark and when I touched the TV-IN with my finger it was hot (110 electricity not temp) I am guessing my mobo and port was spared though since the PC boots no problem using the on-board video and the fan was still running on the 4870.

Problem is solved though thanks to Lousiest.

The card was purchased from NewEgg a little over a year ago. I will call or email or whatever is best with Visiontek today and see what they can do. I may need for you to ship the card back to me but I will let you know when I figure it out.

The card was purchased from NewEgg a little over a year ago. I will call or email or whatever is best with Visiontek today and see what they can do. I may need for you to ship the card back to me but I will let you know when I figure it out.

sounds like preach has a decent RMA plan to me!

ZD informed me it was only a one year after he did the inquiry, but we're still trying to get it through anyway. If it doesn't go Lousiest has offered to hook me up way better than I would have expected. Gamers have much bigger hearts than Nuns. They could take some fashion tips from those nuns though, snappy dressers!

ZD informed me it was only a one year after he did the inquiry, but we're still trying to get it through anyway. If it doesn't go Lousiest has offered to hook me up way better than I would have expected. Gamers have much bigger hearts than Nuns. They could take some fashion tips from those nuns though, snappy dressers!

oooOoo so thats where lousiest gpu is goin too, nice! :luxhello:

Today was special, I got an email back from visiontek (buy evga) saying that the card has a 1 year warranty and that the purchase date excludes me. An hour later I went to play a song and the sound was cutting in and out. I reached to the back of my PC to see if the speaker cable was all the way plugged in and was electrocuted by a melted soundcard. The PC is now a paperweight, not sure what exactly happened but I'm guessing the board and the usb sound card fried along with the video card, but decided to wait so it would be more dramatic and traumatic. It also turned my G5 mouse into a brick on a string.

Luckily I have an old Acer lappy that I can surf the net with, but even CS blows on this lol. I'm not daft enough to beg for a whole PC but wanted to publicly thank Lousiest.gc for being willing to pass on a video card to me that is worth a bunch still. You're a great guy. When I find a job I'll try to drop in and play more, for now I'm stuck with the boards.

Today was special, I got an email back from visiontek (buy evga) saying that the card has a 1 year warranty and that the purchase date excludes me. An hour later I went to play a song and the sound was cutting in and out. I reached to the back of my PC to see if the speaker cable was all the way plugged in and was electrocuted by a melted soundcard. The PC is now a paperweight, not sure what exactly happened but I'm guessing the board and the usb sound card fried along with the video card, but decided to wait so it would be more dramatic and traumatic. It also turned my G5 mouse into a brick on a string.

Luckily I have an old Acer lappy that I can surf the net with, but even CS blows on this lol. I'm not daft enough to beg for a whole PC but wanted to publicly thank Lousiest.gc for being willing to pass on a video card to me that is worth a bunch still. You're a great guy. When I find a job I'll try to drop in and play more, for now I'm stuck with the boards.

No. According to Visiontek's website, that video card has a lifetime warranty. The website does say the original purchaser so just pack up the card and send it to me if they are going to be aholes about it. http://support.visiontek.com/warranty/limited_warranty.html

It is one of the reasons I bought the card from them is the lifetime warranty.

No. According to Visiontek's website, that video card has a lifetime warranty. The website does say the original purchaser so just pack up the card and send it to me if they are going to be aholes about it. http://support.visio...d_warranty.html

ouch, preach no good in doin that rma if the whole board/comp is fried...weird how a SC can do that to the whole rig...lets hope your parts are all under warranty