Help-Issues with 2nd vid card

Laz.e.rus

My HW is in my sig.

Im trying to run my xtra 8800gt dual-slot as a PhysX card. I understand from some EVGA forums that this can be done in either the PCI2x4 or the lower PCI2x8 slot. The lower x8 slot may not work with a full size card like that as it seems it will cover my sound-out from the mobo (case sound and HDMI).

I tried installing into the x4 slot, and got a solid high pitch PC-speaker beep. Windows loaded ok, but the card was not recognized in Device panel or Nvidia software.

I shut down and yanked it.

Someone suggested that I remove all drivers, then try again so it installs both cards simultaneously. But I dont see what that would have to do with the beep. With recognizing it yeah, but not the beep.

Page 2 of the visual guide shows the location of the sound ports in relation to the lower x8 slot. Pretty ridiculous.

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/visual/132-LF-E655_Visual_Guide.pdf

Any ideas?

Edited by Laz.e.rus

Partially resolved.

The end of the PCI cord connecting to the PSU wasnt tight. (slaps forehead). I forgot how stiff it was for first-time plug ins.

However, for my PhysX configuration, I am not seeing the option for multiple GPUs as is suggested in other threads. On clicking it in Nvidia CP, I can disable it across both GPUs, or select "enable" then a toggle for the gpus.

I disabled it, applied, then enabled on the 8800gt, applied. I appears however to enable it on the 275 as well, but no way to check to be sure.

Any ideas?

According to some other threads, I should actully be seeing "Multiple GPU PhysX setup" or something like that.

(Currently in 4x. Others are saying that this is working for them on same mobo)

Your running an 8800 and a 275 at the same time? Could be driver issue. What driver are you using? Are you using SLI connector or just have them both plugged in? Which slots are you using? 1 and 2 or 1 and 3. I have dual 8800's right now with latest driver, and see nothing with multi gpu physx setup... Are you using the NVidia control panel or a 3rd party EVGA/NVidia program.

You have too many variables with not enough information.

Still using x4 slot for the 8800gt and the top x16 for the 275. No sli. This is just a PhysX combo. Im using the gpu/ram of the 8800 to run PhysX freeing up the 275 to just draw pictures.

The reason some P55 guys are using the x4 slot for Physx gpu is that it doesnt cut the x16 into x8/x8 as this chipset/board comco will do. It leaves the 275gtx at 16 lanes.

I think I mightve found the issue. I read in the evga forums somewhere that Evga Precision doesnt monitor the GPU usage onthe 8xxx series cards. So instead I enabled the graph for GPU-2 memory usage.

Yup, its using the ram!

So, I think it is working.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

No, Im not SLI-ing.

I just have this extra 8800gt sitting here, so Im using it for all the PhysX work.

Now I have one GPU with 512MB doing all the calculations for PhysX, and all the 275 has to do now is draw pictures ... well you get the idea.

As for the 275..I have NO complaints on this card. Absolutely amazes me. Chews up Crysis warhead, MW2, etc. All at 1920x1080. This should probably just level out the highs/lows when there is a lot of PhysX going on.

I would never spend money on it, but if its sitting here...

Evga was offering a similar combo a while ago, a 275gtx and a 9400 or something for the PhysX.

They even offer something similar combined into a single co-op card now.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00503/

Edited by Laz.e.rus