Best way to replace an ipod batter

mohawk

It seems as if the battery in my 5th gen 30 gig video ipod is shot. It has full functionality when plugged in, but immediately powers off when it's unplugged. Apple wants $65 to replace the battery, but I know there are other methods, including doing it yourself.

Have any of you gone down this path before? Can you recommend a kit?

side note - I popped into the apple store yesterday on N. Michigan. I was having problems with the touch screen / transmitter sensor do-hickey on my 3G for the past 1.5 years.. and even though it was way out of warranty, they put a brand new touch screen on it... pretty minor cost, but I was impressed with the customer service.

Out of topic, but why are battery replacements so freaking $$$... Had a phone battery die on me and replacement was $50 when I could just get the exact same phone for $100

That's because you tried going through a provider right?

I have 2 phones, one is my current blackberry 8900 and the other is a backup phone Blackberry 8310. I gave my backup phone to my bro to use because his phone was garbage. After a while he had a problem with the centre pearl not clicking. It would scroll but not select. His battery was also draining very fast. He'd have to charge it everyday. I spoke with my local provider on fixing it and they wanted to charge an arm and a leg. $100 for a new battery.

I went on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craigslist) and bought a battery and brand new pearl button all together for $15. Both battery and Pearl were OEM brand new.

Replaced the battery myself too!. The pearl however was done by my friend. He's taken up a new craft. Buying old cellphones that dont work, fixing them, and re-selling them. You'd be surprised how easily some of these devices can be fixed. Now, he learned all this online. I'm sure if you google repairs for your iPOD you could find a simple repair guide, possibly even order an OEM iPOD battery.

it is actually quite easy. Get a small flat screwdriver and "gently" pry the case apart along the outer edge seam. move along it about 1/4 inch at a time. Take your time and don't press the screwdriver very far into the casing. When you get it all open "slowly" raise the two sides (front and back) and look for the battery. It will look like a smaller cordless phone battery (you should already know this from seeing the new one) connected by a small plug. Look closely how the wire loops under the lip and just unplug and replace with the new battery exactly as the original one was. Then making sure everything is as you found it (no wires out of place or in the way etc) when you opened it gently but firmly press the two sides back together again, until it pops in place. TADA done.

it is actually quite easy. Get a small flat screwdriver and "gently" pry the case apart along the outer edge seam. move along it about 1/4 inch at a time. Take your time and don't press the screwdriver very far into the casing. When you get it all open "slowly" raise the two sides (front and back) and look for the battery. It will look like a smaller cordless phone battery (you should already know this from seeing the new one) connected by a small plug. Look closely how the wire loops under the lip and just unplug and replace with the new battery exactly as the original one was. Then making sure everything is as you found it (no wires out of place or in the way etc) when you opened it gently but firmly press the two sides back together again, until it pops in place. TADA done.

My question, do iPOD's have some sort of onboard battery to ensure that your H/D doesn't get erased? If you pull the battery, will your songs or data remain in tact?