Modern Warfare 2 Free weekend this weekend

ZeroDamage

Looks like Preloads are starting now. Here is your chance to give the game a try and see if you like it. To me, it is the CS of this time period. I cannot recall the last time I played cs.

steam://install/10180

Didn't they just offer this free a few weeks back? Guess it was a success. Can't complain though :) Free things are always good. But I hated the small player limits per match. Couldn't join mo and Shaft every time they were playing.

Didn't they just offer this free a few weeks back? Guess it was a success. Can't complain though :) Free things are always good. But I hated the small player limits per match. Couldn't join mo and Shaft every time they were playing.

you have to get in our party before the game starts.

If you see guys playing this weekend, shoot em a pm to get in the next one. Then, someone can invite you when the match is over and you can play in the next one.

the new maps are nice, good change of pace

We (many in the competitive Hardcore community) are not buying the DLC. It all sounds nice but pushing out an update that gives you 5 maps for 15 bucks but fail to update the game in months while the hackers continue to run free is unacceptable to me. Yeah, you run into them maybe 1 out of every 5 games. The game is great but the lack of support from Infinity Ward / Activision is worrisome.

We (many in the competitive Hardcore community) are not buying the DLC. It all sounds nice but pushing out an update that gives you 5 maps for 15 bucks but fail to update the game in months while the hackers continue to run free is unacceptable to me. Yeah, you run into them maybe 1 out of every 5 games. The game is great but the lack of support from Infinity Ward / Activision is worrisome.

If it was a real competitive community, they wouldn't care about public servers. Just saying

Or do they not have scrim type irc channels for mw2 yet?

1 in 5 is a bit of an exaggeration as well, I didnt run into 1 all last night. Now, I get called a hacker constantly but thats a different story. When you play HQ, hackers dont matter as much. You can work as a team to not worry about him.

But yes, every now and then you run into someone blatantly shooting through walls and across the map.

If it was a real competitive community, they wouldn't care about public servers. Just saying

Or do they not have scrim type irc channels for mw2 yet?

1 in 5 is a bit of an exaggeration as well, I didnt run into 1 all last night. Now, I get called a hacker constantly but thats a different story. When you play HQ, hackers dont matter as much. You can work as a team to not worry about him.

But yes, every now and then you run into someone blatantly shooting through walls and across the map.

When I say "hacker," I am referring to the blatant obvious ones. Those that do not care if they are seen hacking. Shooting your whole team through the divider on Wasteland for example. 1/5 is about the average from what I've seen. I may go 5 different games with an obvious blatant hacker but I can also go a whole night and not see a one. We often have more than 6 people playing SnD so a couple of us will be on the other team. This is when you discover how you continuously get seen in places that you should not be seen in while getting shot through 10 feet of shrubbery and a brick wall.

In competitive play, there is no dedicated servers so Punkbuster is out of the question. There is X-Ray anti-cheat as a requirement as well as Wegame running but unless someone is challenged, these things never get used. Often times you know something isn't right about someone but no one really wants to start the drama of challenging someone because not everyone bothers running x-ray and wegame. For a long time, I could not use Wegame as I had no sound being recorded. Even with Ninja Pro I can hear people running around me and without the evidence of that sound, it looks like a wall hack. X-ray takes random screen shots and loads them up to your account. TWL requires your account information for both Wegame and X-ray be entered into your profile in order to play. This would all be very simple if the servers were dedicated and we could enforce punkbuster and could record demos in the way that you can in the Source engine. Unless you have a high-end computer like the one I recently built, you cannot record with wegame in very good quality so it is mostly useless.

I am just rambling now. I love this game. It is the funnest game I've played since the original Counter-strike captured me back in 1999. It's just flawed in some things and I do not see IW/Activision fixing them.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Don't forget about how cheaters have found a way to disable VAC in MW2 so they can use whatever they want.

Just glad I don't play it anymore.

Edited by JackieChan