Fathers Day!

Laz.e.rus

(edited)

Happy FD to all.

I just wanted to say that this weekend brought an amazing surprise.

I left my small town in Michigan many years ago. Some GC may remember me living near Seattle (Discharge) even (couldn't run far enough away).

This weekend I was honored with the "Father of the Year" award from the Chamber of commerce for my town. This of course is an honor, but even more so for me...

both of my younger siblings were given a hard time in school because of the adventurous poor precedent I set.

so for me, now, living back in this town,... it meant a lot to me.

Every child in town was given a paper back in school to have the chance to write something about their dad.:

Our daughter Lulu submitted her's among many hundreds. She said a lot of cute things about me, but the Chamber told me that what grabbed them and really touched them was her statement that "even though he is just my stepdad he loves me like a real dad"... then there was "he plays video games real good" and "he plays a mean guitar " :) ). Shes 10 and would never tell me that to my face, and it meant a lot. We butt heads a lot because prior to me there was never a man to mess things up between her and her mom.

Between her essay, and being publicly honored in front of hundreds (during the "Day at the Village"), it was a humbling experience for a man that ran from this town as fast as he could as soon as he could to dodge the history he left (I was told they still tell stories of my exploits among educators in the schools - I graduated in '90).

Best Father's Day a man could ever ask for.

Edited by Laz.e.rus