Mass Effect

Ringadon

I've been considering investing some cash in the mass effect games (over steam to avoid EA's DRM whatnot) and am wondering if there were any real point to getting the first one or would I be better served by just going right to #2?

Anyone? Anyone?

Ring

EDIT:: I realize that the games are old but I like to stay a bit behind the times tech wise (it's cheaper)

Edited by Ringadon

First one has a lot of story and character stuff that goes into the second one. You can also transfer your character over from the first one to the second after you beat it. It effects the story, some characters you meet, and some other stuff.

If you can, I'd definitely get the first one and play through that first.

Playing through the first one first should be a requirement!

The combat gameplay in the second is far superior to the first, but in my opinion you should play through the first one as it is still amazing and has a great story. I played through the first one 5 full times before the second came out. Great games!

(edited)

The only thing I liked more in the first one than the second one was the loot. Second one has pretty much none.

It had a lot of loot, but 90% of it was crap. If I left for a mission and forgot to sell all the junk I picked up in the previous one, it would get full up again. On the plus side, I had crap-tons of omni-gel!

Edited by boiler

I love finding crap in games. I'd play Diablo all day just to find more crap.

you should get Borderlands

ok, I'll admit to getting addicted to Borderlands loot dropping... I mean, there's gotta be a better gun available than the one I've been carrying around for the last 10 minutes, right?

I love finding crap in games. I'd play Diablo all day just to find more crap.

you should get Borderlands

ok, I'll admit to getting addicted to Borderlands loot dropping... I mean, there's gotta be a better gun available than the one I've been carrying around for the last 10 minutes, right?

Thing I hate about Borderlands's loot system is that you get crappy drops off of bosses. The only good weapons you can get are from chests which doesn't really make much sense.