World of Tanks

Penty

I've been playing WOT this weekend and it's a blast. Think FPS with WWII tanks and as you gain experience you can move from light tanks on up. It's currently in closed beta. Here is the application:

http://game.worldoftanks.com/registration/cbt/

They currently only have the German and Russian tanks enabled, but the American ones are coming soon.

Here is what I am currently manning.

post-803-009824600 1284388188_thumb.jpg

If you get in one thing to keep in mind, I just found out about this last night. With the fast tanks you will notice them sometimes flickering in and out of view. It's not a glitch, what is happening is that you are falling in and out of radio contact with whatever unit is spotting them.

semi-realism. If you want true realistic you need to play Red Orchestra.

The units physical model, guns, movement speed, turret speed and armor are spot on. Everything else is tweaked a little to make the game fun to play.

With just the Russian and German tanks in, there are about 60. Devs have stated that with the American release it will rise to about 100; other countries will be added after launch.

Tree link http://game.worldoftanks.com/gallery/art/+tank_trees/

Upgrades are generally guns, engines, suspension and radios. They attempted to keep these historically accurate so some models have more options then others.

You can also buy extra equipment like improved spotting, spalling protection etc. There are consumables as well, but I don't think they are worth it, not for a 15min match.

The tank crews can also be further trained and you can move them from tank to tank.

No external decorations, or at least not yet.

No just tanks.

Edited by Penty

Here is something interesting. If you have more than one tank in your garage when you die in one battle you can leave the battle, switch tanks and join a new battle.

Bah, in order to form a platoon one of the 3 must be running a premium account. Since we are all newbies we won't have enough gold for awhile.

A better suspension allows you to mount heaver equipment and improves handling. You are right about the engine, although the biggest improvements are in turning and acceleration. These are tanks, no radar. ;) However the radio improvements allow you to talk to other tanks at a greater distance. If a tank on your side is within radio range and sees an enemy tank you can also see it. Better radios are really important for scouts and artillery.

Edited by Penty