Any Idea?

So heres the problem in as short as i can put it.

I was going to log into my user on Win7 x64 and instead of loading out my desktop and my profile, it would load out the default profile that you start with like when you first install. I kept trying to log out and back in, restart, shut down, reboot, log in, same thing over and over. I go to log into my fiances account and it loads her stuff just fine, no problem. Log off her, back to me, DEFAULT. I finally go to restore the computer to the last restore point, which was a few hours ago, works, and i can now log in my name and it loads all my stuff like normal. I have seen this happen a few times before, but it always corrected itself if i just logged out, and back in, i figured it was just a tiny bug, but that didn't work this time. Now here is my question...

What could be causing this?

I was thinking the harddrive, or just the windows install itself not being a quality install. I have had the computer once already entirely lose Windows 7, as in i had to reformat because it wouldnt even boot into safe mode, much less a regular boot. Like it didnt even recognize windows was installed. Since that time which was a few months ago, its been fine until this mishap. After i restored it tonight i saw there were windows updates that are ready to install, i was wondering if they had anything to do with it, since when i was first logging in no updates appeared, until i restored which was just to 4 and a half hours ago, and there are updates now.

My first plan is to get an external harddrive ASAP and back everything up, i might not even shut down the compy until i get one now. But i was just wondering what some of your guys/gals thoughts are on this matter, or if you have ever seen/heard of this happening and the probable cause. I can post comp specs if needed.

I maintain 6 computers personally running Win 7 64 and I know people that constitute several more (3 I can think of that I talk to regularly), and I've never had this problem.

Now, I remember a long time ago (I was running XP at the time) I started to randomly lose data. Sometimes I'd reboot and the files would be back, and sometimes they wouldn't.

I bought a new hard drive, and the problem went away.

Your login problem almost seemed to specific to be an HDD problem, but the fact that your computer failed to even recognize Windows was installed at one point leads me to believe it may be--something could be screwed up in the boot-sector, but I'd have to do more research to be sure. My advice, to be safe, would be to buy a new hard drive (they are crazy cheap--NewEgg sometimes sells 1GB drives for $40 on sale!).

Worst case scenario: you upgrade your storage capacity and are down $40 to $60 and it turns out to simply be a Windows 7 bug. I would at least try a fresh install if nothing else. :peace:

Yeah i thought of getting a new HDD. I don't even need 1TB, this is a 500gb and even if i bought another 500 or slightly larger would be fine with me. I still want an external though for backups i think, i just wasn't planning on spending all this money right now. I'll have to hash it over with my fiance and tell her the problem.

If you are after a new Hard drive, I would get one that has great performance. Canadian enthusiast friend of mine recommended this and he says it performs almost as fast as a Solid State Drive. Great price too. You want SATA 3 to get the speed benefit from the drive though.

Either one of these:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136544

I would suggest getting an external enclosure as opposed to a passport or other external hd.

I just picked this up a couple days ago and it works great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182155

then, you could buy a new hd* to run your OS off and use your current hard drive in the external enclosure..

* - I have a couple of the hds ZD linked to in raid and they are quick (and quiet)

I would go this route for a USB dock. Easily swap out hard drives and it supports USB 3 and eSata to get the most speed possible out of your external use drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153133&cm_re=blacx-_-17-153-133-_-Product

I have the older generation model and it works great. Both 2.5 inch (laptop drives) and the standard 3.5 inch drive fit. They just pop in and then right back out again.