Rates, Lag

mookie

GC Alumni
(edited)

So I was just talking to DNA about server lag, and it occurred to me that that's only really valid if your rates are set correctly. If you look at your net_graph, on the "in" line, k/s tells you how much data the server is sending you. It looks to me like this number can only go to about 4 k/s per 10000 rate ("rate" in console) without losing some updates. In a full 24-player server, with cl_updaterate at 66, this number will frequently be touching 20 k/s (or higher, depending on the map). This means that if you want to receive all the updates from the server, you need to set your rate to at least 50000. This is contrary to the typical numbers of 25000 or 30000.

If you look at the last number on the "in" line, that is the number of updates per second you're receiving from the server. This can drop for a few reasons, commonly: (1) the server is not sending you all the updates, because it is respecting your rate setting, (2) packets are getting lost somewhere between you and the server, (3) the server is not able to maintain its tickrate.

If your rate is set to a typical 30000, a drop in the number of updates you're receiving is only likely to indicate a server problem if your k/s in is staying at or below 12 k/s.

Edited by mookie

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried my settings all over the place as far as rate, cl_updaterate, cl_cmdrate and whatnot but have had no visual/performance changes from these settings. At least nothing noticeable.

I keep my settings at 25000, 66, 66 and have no issues either way... That being said my internet speed is optimal and my fps usually is a steady 300 capped. Either way if you're experiencing lag make sure its not graphical first off.

Check your fps at the time of the lag. It could just be that your machine is lagging rather than the server/internet connection.

I frequently check the rates of all the players on the server, especially those that are playing well, and I have tried most configurations. This server has never played well for me from day one, maybe because I am so far south, I dunno, but it pretty much sucks most nights with only small doses of great, accurate play, just big enough to let me know that an enjoyable experience is possible, only then to disappear and leave me in the frustration that is my CS:S playing life. It used to be so much better, but then again, I used to live in Ohio. Either way, I have given up, I only come in when the crowd of regulars is there that make it a fun place to hang out, I "try" not to expect too much from the game and just have a little fun.

I normally don't have too many problems with lag but I have noticed the server seems unusually laggy lately when we have near max people in it and I know others have noticed it being worse than usual too. I don't know if it is a recent update issue, something with the server, etc. For individuals issues they may want to play with their interp, interpratio, and smooth to see if they get better results.