Rims Selection Assistance

yErMoTH3r

Help - too many to choose from :-o Doesn't have to be from here either...they just had alot of volume/piccys.

http://www.wheelfire...Option=Standard

The usual recommendations from the experts who know the products as I surely don't know squat about rims and quality.

Tires on this are 225/50/R18 140AA 95W - Lookin for good all season ~300AA. Keep in mind this is also rear wheel drive.

side.jpg

This all started off with the suggestion to replace 1 rim - which I'll replace with caddy brand some time later on.

One last thing any locals know who to go to for regular curb rash? Rims need clear coat removed, then refinished then re-clear coated...

Thanks

GC Founder

I'd stick with the Caddy wheels, I didn't see anything in there that wouldn't make your car look ghetto...as fire as tires, my preference is always Bridgestone, I stick with them whenever I can.

Protenza REO50A's in summer...no good for winter so I had Eagle F1's which I think they are noizy compared to the Bridgestones - so I'll find their all season version and go with them.

I switched from pure summer tires on my car (also a rear wheel driver with quite a bit of power) last year to Michelin Pilot A/S Plus (which were relatively pricey, but a steal compared with the run-flats I had before).

While we don't get that hard a Winter here in North Texas, we do get some snow/ice and quite a lot of heavy rain which was the reason for the swap as I didn't want to go dedicated winter and summer sets. I've been very happy with them, particularly in the winter time/wet weather and they come with a 45K mile warranty (although I'd be surprised if the rears make it to 20K although that's better than the 8-10K I was getting from the summer tires).

You do forgo a reasonable amount of outright grip in the summer if you're a "spirited" driver and I may end up buying another set of rims for some more winter oriented tires so I can get a set of very soft Summer tires, but if you're looking for a year round solution and don't mind giving up a bit of grip at the limits I'd definitely recommend them.

We bought my wife's car from a guy in Kansas City, and it came with two sets of wheels/tires, the Blizzaks (which I must say are absolutely superb in the winter) and some Kumho Ecsta XS summers, which are also superb.

One of the guys in the office here has an S4 and I know he's running the Continental Extremecontact DW or DWSs, I can't remember exactly which but I know he's happy with them.

There are a lot of good tire choices out there, I always check out tire-rack for reviews and pricing.

A lesser known brand I know that one of the other guys I work with has which I've heard great things about on the boards and from him with some track use are Vredesteins if you can find them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

They want $1231.90 for one rim? Am i reading this correctly? I can't really pick a rim, its all up to your style preference.

Also I'm going back on my post from earlier. Though I don't know if it comes in your wheel size, the very best (from all of my research) all-season tire you could get for snow/wet/dry is the Continental Extremecontact DWS. I'm gonna go put these on my car in about a week. Check them out on tirerack.com, look at the surveys, the customer reviews, and the video they have of testing out high-performance all seasons. It comes out on top, and isn't even the priciest of the tires.

Edited by samurai nightling

GC Founder

>>They want $1231.90 for one rim? Am i reading this correctly?

Yea, u read it correctly, we must have some really special crack here in NE Ohio. Needless to say I didn't go with it.

As far as tires went. I got GoodYear LS2's 4@114 each. With 63k on the vehicle and 1 year left on the warranty, I've decided to put my efforts into what I want for my next vehicle. That being typed, 1st crack will be offered to GC ppl before I let a dealer make me an offer. Mileage should be about 80k when it's time to get rid of it. All scheduled/required maintenance is performed...will post up a couple months before it's time to sell.