Read this if you use DropBox

(edited)

Remove any personal identifying items you have stored on Dropbox if you use them. They keep experiencing security breaches and now their TOS says that they have copyright of whatever is on their service. Use encryption if you continue to use them for anything more than storing funny gifs like this.

umad_small.gif

Edited by ZeroDamage

unfortunately, this isn't the standard FUD we've all come to love zd for. (

this post dissects it pretty well (bonus follow up post), or you could read the new dropbox tos (and supporting dropbox blog post).

unfortunately, i haven't found a good alternative. one of my buddies pointed me at sparkleshare, but that's not for the technically faint of heart. box.net is priced for enterprise, and truecrypt takes away the automated on-the-fly updating i fell in love with dropbox over. with truecrypt, you either have to upload the entire encrypted share, or you have to break it into smaller chunks. in either case, that's not (easily) automated.

oh well. i'm sure someone somewhere is scrambling to ship code and fill this new opportunity. that, or dropbox will be announcing a new platinum tier that encrypts your data and you retain ownership of (a la google premium docs).

until then, goodbye, dropbox.

I would still be weary about storing sensitive information in the cloud. I mainly use it for homework so I can easily work on it between my laptop and desktop as well as work stuff. One solution could be to put an encrypted file container in the dropbox using something like truecrypt, but then everytime you updated a file the whole container would need to re-upload.