Spotify

Allanon

So I decided to try out the free version of spotify and it's a pretty neat piece of software but question for anyone else here that uses it. Is it worth upgrading at all, and if so would you recommend getting a premium account, or is the $4.99/month one perfectly fine?

i'm still trying to figure out why the cool kids are more into spotify than it's better counterpart rdio.

spotify is a p2p network that uses your bandwidth (when open, but not necessarily listening) to push traffic across. i've heard, but can't confirm, that you can't add songs to your mobile device unless you're connected to wifi. i've used the app, and it's ugly, bloated, and all facebook'd.

check out rdio. they'll even give you a 2 week free trial. yes, you have to give a credit card, but you get the whole package to try. use it for two weeks, try it, and i don't think you'll consider spotify again...unless you really want to your facebook friends to send you their crappy playlists. i'd prefer last.fm support, which rdio has.

...but, to answer your question. spotify premium ($9.99) let's you sync to a mobile device. can't do that for $4.99.

http://rdio.com

Does spotify have recommendations? I use pandora/grooveshark today mostly for their ability to make recommendations based on what songs I flag under "Like"

Going to have to check out rdio :)

Edit: Gotta love having so many choices :D

Edited by lousiest

rdio (or spotify) isn't a discovery service like pandora. rdio is great if you know what you want to listen to, or if you connect (selectively) to other users that seem to have a similar taste. you might get some recommendations along that, but nothing like pandora (or last.fm, which is still the best discovery service imo).

enjoy grooveshark while you can. things aren't look up for them right now.

yay choices, at least until SOPA comes around :(

Yar, I left the player on all night, and when I came back in the morning, it says I've used up all my free songs, and that I have to wait till January 2012, or become a paid member. At the top of my rdio website, there's a status bar that reads "You're out of free music" :'(

i didn't know rdio even had a free option. i thought it was a two week trial or the $5 or $10 plan.

btw, from spotify's eula:

The Spotify Service can be accessed (i) as an ad-supported free-to-the-user service having no monthly cap on listening hours or a cap on number of plays of a unique track during the first 6 months following creation of your Spotify account but thereafter a cap of 10 listening hours per month and a cap of 5 plays per unique track (the “Free Service”)