CryENGINE 3 Showcase

lousiest

(edited)

Crytek is making this engine dead on arrival. The license costs $1 million and any game that is going to make that back will be on PC, 360, and PS3, which means any of these fancy DX11 features aren't even going to be used. Look at Crysis 2, Crytek's OWN game and it didn't get DX11 support until months later and it didn't even use all the features of Cryengine 3 that were available at the time. Crysis 1 was the same way, the game didn't look nearly as good as the pre-release footage they showed.

Edited by VooDooPC

$1 mill sounds like a low number to make back. I just feel like games like CoD sell multi millions of dollars worth of stuff in a year.

What was it, day one they sold over 2 million copies of Black Ops

Edited by ValenAlvern

$1 mill sounds like a low number to make back. I just feel like games like CoD sell multi millions of dollars worth of stuff in a year.

Call of Duty does have no problem making cash but it's also the best selling game franchise in the history of game franchises at this point.

If you're an indie developer or not a huge studio there's no way you're going to have that money up front. Epic games doesn't even charge for their UDK until you make something like $500,000.

Valve is in love with their 10 year old Source Engine too much. :D

I still think it looks pretty good. And being that old, its capable of running on sub-par machines. At its inception, separately rendered trash objects were revolutionary. "You mean I can shoot a milk carton and it will MOVE?!?" Before then, everything was a painted texture on a solid, indestructible surface. Even an empty soda can.

Valve is in love with their 10 year old Source Engine too much. :D

I still think it looks pretty good. And being that old, its capable of running on sub-par machines. At its inception, separately rendered trash objects were revolutionary. "You mean I can shoot a milk carton and it will MOVE?!?" Before then, everything was a painted texture on a solid, indestructible surface. Even an empty soda can.

If you look how much the CryEngine has evolved since CryEngine 1 with Farcry (2004), then CryEngine 2 with Crysis (2006), and now CryEngine 3 with Crysis 2 (2011) and Crysis 3 (2013) in the same time since Half-Life 2 (2004) came out the advancement in Crytek's engine is amazing. Valve added what to the Source engine since Half-Life 2 came out? HDR and Dynamic Shadows for Episode 2?

The Source engine may have been fine for it's time but it's a dinosaur now. They need to completely overhaul the engine if they plan to make anything half-decent graphically.