Hey Spec Campers

JackieChan

• 1 month later...

You know what would be cool? I like the point system, and I think that it would be very cool if you could use both. Depending on how many points that you accumulate on the server, in total, you can buy time in the spectator mode. If I've been playing for a while and I've accumulated over 1,000 points total and I wanted to go into spectator mode for an emergency or something, I could take some of that 500 points and go spectator for 5 minutes or something. That way, the people who go on spectator could really earn being in spectator for a period of time, hogging up the server, guaranteeing that you won't get kicked for those 5 minutes, or you could go spectate without buying a spectator slot and risk getting kicked. Make spectator extra VIP to where you gotta earn spectator mode. I'm new to the server and all, not that tech savvy...but I think it's a pretty cool idea.

If there's only a limited amount of spectator slots that prevent people from coming into the server, then disregard this message and call me Nancy.

Edited by Bunny

I love to watch other players in spec, especially Malo. Great team player, best I've seen in awhile. I will try not to spec so much but if it gets rowdy I do go to spec just in case something happens or like yesterday I had to get something to eat for my kid. I was not even gone for 5 minutes and everyone telling me to leave because people can't join. I felt I had a right to spec for that small amount of time. Specing is half the fun on the server but if everyone is going to rage because of it, I'll do my part.

Admins, more than anyone else, should be the ones (allowed? that seems like the wrong word) in Spec mode. They have a job to do - #1 priority is enforce the rules... best way to do that is in Spec mode.

So regular members, go in spec mode for a minute or two. Admins... they can spec as long as they want/need to (my opinion).

To be clear, I'm not attacking your position IRPwnage--I thought that how it played out was quite reasonable. I only meant to say what I may have done in that case. Obviously this is a discussion, and my opinion is not the only opinion, nor is it necessarily the best option.

Jackie has asked us not to sit in spec in general, but I don't think this applies to admins in most situations (afk being an exception where I think it applies to everyone).

I also think that Chick could have PM'ed you before it became a forum thread--but that's kind of out of my hands.

the server is always 22/22 so nonmembers have no chance of gettin in, being forced to buy membership if they want to play on the server :(

Get HLSW, add l4d2 to game shortcuts, add l4d.gcftw.com to server list and wait for someone to leave.

Did that for months.

the server is always 22/22 so nonmembers have no chance of gettin in, being forced to buy membership if they want to play on the server :(

Get HLSW, add l4d2 to game shortcuts, add l4d.gcftw.com to server list and wait for someone to leave.

Did that for months.

Me too... Specially weekends. In the morning it's always free of members.

GC Coalition Member

I see many people that try to "negociate". I want to tell you that your a selfish.... You can stay in spec, all is nice for you, but for those who want to get in and cant cause server is full? Make like 40-60 secs timer for spectators then kick. Those who stay several times should get a little ban. Think of others too kids

Make like 40-60 secs timer for spectators then kick. Those who stay several times should get a little ban.

No

this ^^

Reason being..some people do have legitimate reasons to be away for longer than that period of time. Theres times where Ive gone to use the facilities and grab a beverage, and that can take 1-2 minutes. Thats one example, there are many that are viable. If someone is camping spec for several maps, admins will kick you stating that we need the slot. We use our best judgement in these cases..and pretty much 99% of the time its right.

We can do our best to remedy this problem, but its not fair to everyone to add such a small timer.

Edited by radical187
  • Like 1

Agreed with Biggs on the 5 minute delay if it will be auto-kicking. Also how will it determine if someone is afk? I spent 15-20 minutes with dryfire in spec waiting for a spot to open the other night. We were both actively waiting for that open spot and I was making lame jokes in chat the whole time.. Will lame jokes be a factor in me not being afk?