Electricity? Do you know it?

Fatty

How much do you think is going to be required, let's say we have 40 computers.

Tom said there are 2 20AMP circuits in the barn. How much will that run?

Next, how far can you run extension cords? It's 8-900 feet from the garage/house to the barn.

Generators...what do they put out and are they too noisy for something like this? He has one.

Tom said there are 2 20AMP circuits in the barn. How much will that run?

nowhere near enuff

i ran 2 20amps to my comp room...granted i have access to more power than i need, but 2400watts is a 20amp circuit @120v.

w=v*a

1500watts = 120(volts)x 12.5 (amps) 1500w/120v=12.5a

Mother is correct. The initial surge upon startup would be the most the most strenuous on the breaker. The maintaining of power shouldn't be a problem after that, unless someone shuts down and boots back up or adds something that will draw more load. As an alternative to a generator (depending on how many peeps would be there) it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to see about running a temporary service and just have everyone pitch in on the cost of it. I know a lot of tool rental places will rent out the temporary meter base which will come with a 100 amp or 200 amp box.

Fatty, running extension cords the whole distance (not sure if thats what you miay have been planning) is a big fat negative. The amount of impedance over that distance would run the risk of damaging our comps. I would say 100ft max with a heavy duty cord (12/3 or bigger). Linking cords to cover the distance only increases the impedance an increases the chances of a fail safe device failure, and/or damage to hardware. Ideally the cord lengths will be just long enough to reach where we need it, too long means less voltage getting where it needs to be.

You should figure 10/3 and 12/3 guage wire is rated for 15 amps. Thus you would come to a conclusion at 5 amps a comp, you'd only have 3 per circuit. I'd say we could safely get 5 per circuit. If we do go the generator route, I could get one 5000 watt, and maybe one more for the lan.