Preacher

Well after 5 years I decided to build a new gaming tower. I tried to make it last until after the first of the year, but alas it was not to be. I've ate up 5 video cards and am in the process of RMAing said 5th. On top of that my PC has selective start-up. Basically it will start up fine 60% of the time and about 40% of the time it fails to read the sata ports. I've bought everything except the SSD drive. I'm fed up so here is my new rig I'm in the process of getting.

Upgrading from an HEC Blizard case w/ 650 HEC power supply - QX9650 Core2Extreme 3.0ghz quad core CPU w/ 16gb (4x4gb) on a Gigabyte board w/ same video card and storage drives.

Upgrading to:

Case: Smiladon

Power Supply:KINGWIN ABT-1050MM 1050W

Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H

CPU: Core i5 3570K

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

OS Dive: HyperX 3K 240GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with SandForce SF-2281 Controller

Storage Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Green 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 6870 1GB

Keeping my old Microsoft Wave Keyboard and my Dell mouse. Also my Dynex 32" 1080p TV will remain as my monitor.

Also gonna stick with Windows 7 Ultimate for now as well.

Windows 8 looks and feels like a tablet/cell phone OS to me. I just hated messing with it.

• Like 1

I would most certainly pick a different power supply - your components total up to roughly 310W, not sure what you need 1050W PSU for. More importantly I'd doubt that 'Kingwin' could put out anywhere near to 1000W I'd suggest picking a PSU that has a well known and tested brand name like Antec, Enermax or PC Power and Cooling. This sits in the same price range, still has enough wattage to run CrossFire with ease, and comes with a 5 year warranty(from a company that usually has 24 hour turn around time on RMAs). I'd also pick the 7850 2GB over the 6870 - it's gonna run cooler, will be a bit faster all around, has 2G of RAM which is becoming rather useful for a lot of newer games, supports DX 11.1 and WDDM 1.2, and will have better future driver support since it's built with AMD CGN. I'd spend the extra $15 and get this HDD which will give you SATA 6G(Bit a moot point since the board you picked is a B75 - only a single 6G port on that chipset), features double the cache, and a is a current drive(all of the 1.5TB HDD have been dropped from production).

Should be a nice rig. Might want to check out the cases from Corsair, awesome build quality and the cable management makes for a very clean case....can hardly see any cables.

I agree with amertrash on the power supply, I would go maybe a bit smaller unit from a better company. I'm using a Corsair 750w and it's actually more than sufficient.

Get a Z77 chipset mobo, it's almost a necessity. Here is an affordable one that's less than $20 more than the one you have selected. http://www.microcent...tel_Motherboard

The only other thing that seems like you might be selling yourself short on is the video card, it's not going to be enough to play the newer stuff at high rez at higher frame rates. I know this because because I just finally benched mine in favor of a GTX670, and the difference in games like Battlefield 3 is VERY noticeable. I can only imagine that this will be even more noticeable pushing those graphics to a 32" monitor....which by the way, how does a TV work as a monitor? Is it blurry at high speeds at all? I've considered trying that since the price is so much more affordable, but I just figured that there had to be some noticeable difference, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

16MB of RAM really isn't needed, I'm using 8MB, and so is pretty much everyone that I play with and it's more than enough for gaming...you could cut that back to 8MB and apply the leftover bucks to more video card :)

Here's mine, and i'm very happy with the performance:

i5 3570k

ASrock Extreme4 Z77 mobo

OCZ Vertex 3 240gb SSD

WD 1TB drive for storage

8GB Patriot Vengeance RAM

MSI GTX670 TwinFrozr

Corsair TX750W PSU

Corsair C70 Case

Well video card is a carry over and so is the storage drive.

The Motherboard was 50% off with CPU purchase and is already in the case.

The Smiladon is heavy as crap and has poor cable management, but was by far the easiest build I've ever done.

As for the PS, I read a ton of reviews prior to purchase and I wanted something that had more than enough power for a few builds and I was almost out of money to get one. What I wanted was the Corsair 1050 but Kingwin is not a no-name brand. In fact it's been around longer than Corsair (power supplies) or PC Power and Cooling. The main reason I want this one is price. I realize even going to Crossfire I won't need much more than my current 650watt but who knows what will come out 2 years from now.

Everything except the SSD is bought. I'm actually going to put the OS on a 160gb Seagate I pulled from a Dell a while back till I can afford the SSD. Prolly be January.

Oh and the 32" monitor is awesome for Windows 7 putting a movie on the left half and surfing my mozilla brozer on the right half lol.

Edited by Preacher