GC Forums Update/Bugs/Upgrade Log

Flitterkill

Just creating a space to annotate and list all the forum changes as they occur. That's going to be bugs that matter to us, updates, upgrades, small changes, new mods, all that stuff.

7/22/2013

After a slight delay with all the FFO stuff and...other distractions... back on the horse. Updated the look of the GC store: graphics, descriptions, some new donation buys, prep for FFO leftovers, pint glasses, and official GC tees.

3/25/2013

Waaaay behind on the 3.4 upgrade. Not the worst thing as the various point revisions have knocked out a few bugs in the meantime. Performance of web server much better but still need to better clear a few ssl graphics calls. Installed guest message on index that points to joining GC thread and banned forums.

1/22/2013

M0M upgraded apache/php. mod_ssl built in & memcache/memcached enabled. Not much improvement. Some IPB template hacks (graphics) need to be reverted back into the IPB system rather than be https calls. May need a new server.

1/20/2013

Moved a js file in the global template to the end of the template to help with load times. Mod_SSL needs to be built into Apache/PHP to better cache ssl requests; waiting on YM for this.

12/20/2012

Build-out for IPB 3.4.1 from 3.3.4 upgrade started. Roll-out before 2013 (probably...)

CrasX coding of new Steam profile hover nearly complete.

12/7/2012

Forum signatures re-enabled after a year or two off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
GC Board Member

vncthing.jpg

What's probably happening is that you have "New since my last visit" selected along the left side.

You want "Content I have not read" instead.

Marking the forums read won't affect "New since last visit" as that's tied to cookies/tokens of when you are on the forums.

I still get random longish load times - like this page took maybe good 1.5 seconds with an execution time of .47 at 14 queries. Happens on Chromium 26.0.1387.0(nightly build), Firefox on Windows 7 and the same from home on my FreeBSD box running stable Chromium. Not a big deal but an odd little delay that happens every 3 to 4 page loads.

GC Board Member

Mom and I have been working this on and off the last few days. A few graphics I have as direct calls through https/ssl and that has some impact. The problem is, as you can see by looking at the bottom of the page where we have page exec time listed. Sometimes it'll be brutal 3-5-8-13-more seconds exec time. And sometimes the exec time is sub-second 9as it should be) but the page still stalls forever while loading. We're knocking back variables but it's coming back to the server we are on, even though its a vps, I think it's overloaded.

FWIW, I'm still trying to analyze whats up...it feels like there aren't enough connections to serve the content. Unfortunately I know at 3am the system isn't taxed one bit and should be at it's fastest, but it isn't.

I've even added memcache/memcached with 512MB so everything serves from ram - so it's not disk access issues which still makes me think there aren't enough system (read operating system) connections or way too many http calls per page. I'm going to play with caching compiled php to see if that helps any.

I can help you with your hacks, I just don't know what you've done. Let me know.

GC Board Member
As you are a valuable client, I would like to make some changes in your VE settings at the node side and run tests to optimize the VPS performance. Please note that there will be no changes in side your VPS. A restart will be required at the end of the process during which your VPS may be offline for around 15 - 30 minutes.

This happened last night.

So far this morning things are....much better. Mysql may/may not be running default (read: no) configuration. If so that's just a little bit of a problem... My work for the afternoon.

Web page speed tests haven't really changed much but performance is noticeably better this morning. I do have to move some forum graphics out from under straight https calls as those aren't being cached.

We're getting there.

As you are a valuable client

This happened last night.

So far this morning things are....much better.

We're getting there.

From what I understand (see above), you are making solid progress Flitter. Thanks for the hard work!

Edited by Lookback