NFL Black Monday

Flitterkill

Chicago (HC) - Lovie is a good to great coach who couldn't buy himself an OC to save his job. Mike Sherman (who couldn't buy himself a DC in Green Bay) feels his pain. Tough sledding to lose your job after going 10-6. Gruden is slightly over exposed these days (in the National Football League...) but would probably do overly well here for my GB rooting preferences.

Kansas City (HC, prob GM) - Lols. Also if the GM doesn't go expect more 5-11 records. He signed Cassel to a bajillion dollars and is still employed at the moment. Pioli is still regarded well by NFL execs apparently; he may survive this.

San Diego (HC, GM) - Rivers is the mirror image of Carson Palmer post-injury. Both had "it", both got injured, both have not quite had "it" since then. Rivers has had a lot more upside but still...rivals Favre for interception machine status. Once they lost the running game, with a HC that likes to push it offensively much of this was inevitable.

Buffalo (HC, GM maybe) - True story. Back in January 2006 I bought my 2003 Nissan Xterra on eBay and flew out on a one way ticket to Buffalo (Indianapolis, to Chicago, to Buffalo, NY) to drive it back to Indiana. Carhartts and a sweater over-top, small carry on for a paperwork and a book to read. So, obvs I'm a terrerist and get the special treatment in Indianapolis. Get through that and am surprised by a former student of mine working the boarding area, she upgrades to Business Class front-row style without telling me. Sweet! Also sat next to a well dressed air marshal who was "just a businessman" who was interested in what I was doing dressed so in Business Class. The seats were very nice (small morning commuter jet to Chicago). 30 minute wait to board for Buffalo in Chicago. And there's Marv Levy. On my flight, on his way to be the new GM of the Bills. When I got off in Buffalo, took a quick bathroom break in the terminal (only noted here for the strange fact that two seagulls were *in* the bathroom. This is Buffalo, NY. I still have no idea how or why...) and headed out of the airport only to be greeted by an abundance of TV reporters asking me about Marv. Had to disappoint them all as Marv de-planed to the tarmac and the limo waiting for him... So much hope...

Marv's long gone, Buffalo still sucks.

Philadelphia (HC) - Dead man walking. This is what happens when you go all in on free-agency. Also, the only difference between the early 90's Bill's dynasty and the 00's Eagles is that the Bills made it to (and lost) a bunch of Super Bowls. Eagles had the same success but crashed and burned in the NFC Championship games. Either Eagles eat it for a year and burn the decks to clear out all those contracts or they sit in a 7-9 9-7 middle ground for a couple of years instead. Not sure who wants to coach the Eagles in the state they are in right now.

Cleveland (HC, GM) - The Shurmur hire was awful. Too much nepotism (Shurmur's dead Uncle Fritz, DC for Holmgren in GB and Sea), not enough ability. He could have made many better coaching hires. Blew it. Really good with Heckert (who won't be unemployed for long) but enough over the shoulder stuff to force Heck to grab Weeden. Holmgren might get another bite at the coaching apple but he's done as an executive.

Jacksonville (GM, HC next?) - New owner. Horrible team. GM gone. Hello Tebow? Let the marketing commence!

Arizona - (Coach, GM) - Some quality GM'ing there.

Detroit - TBD

Cleveland is cursed with bad decision making, whether it be bad coaches, or benching the wrong players in favor of losers, it's always the same story. Hell, even when they had a great coach, which Belichick later proved he was, they still can't do squat. It's tough being a Browns fan....although I do get to share that with The Saints now, which is a great team despite their problems this year.

I hope Cleveland gets it together...I would love to add brown and orange back to the wardrobe...but they have beat me up as a fan my entire life, they need to earn their way back into my heart.

GC Board Member

Well, some movement the last few days.

Reid in KC. They're hoping for early-mid 2000's Reid. I'm not sure that guy is still around...

Kelly to Philly? Maybe.

Buffalo makes a Syracuse hire. Might not be too bad.

Clueless's Browns lose out on Kelly and apparently they too coveted the Syracuse hire.

Honestly, on further thought, Lovie Smith would be pretty fantastic in Cleveland. Saddled with no offense (but a good RB) in the short-term but the city would lap up his defense. Hmm, that RB with a stout defense? I like this even more.

I am most happy that our Saints were able to retain Sean Payton, he is a pretty important piece to our team puzzle as demonstrated by our performance this year...as for my second favorite team, Cleveland couldn't really do any worse, that's the good news, as for this Smith guy, i'm not familiar, but hopefully he, or whomever they get is a stern, energetic, arse kicking coach, because the last few have been too laid back and showed almost no emotion, and to the fans, it seems like they just don't care, or know what to do.

strange fact- No superbowl winning coach ever won another with a different team. Closest was Mike Holmgren (SP) and he only got to the bowl because the Panthers were using there 5th string running back in the 2005 NFC championship. Davis, Foster, Hoover and Goings all KO'd during the season or playoffs. I can't remember the back who played after Goings went out, but he was a no name kid off the street.

strange fact- No superbowl winning coach ever won another with a different team. Closest was Mike Holmgren (SP) and he only got to the bowl because the Panthers were using there 5th string running back in the 2005 NFC championship. Davis, Foster, Hoover and Goings all KO'd during the season or playoffs. I can't remember the back who played after Goings went out, but he was a no name kid off the street.

Was Tim Biakabutuka not available for that game?

Past performance is not indicative of future results :)