Banned my friend for Profanity in his name?

Guest admonmansur

Guest admonmansur
Guest admonmansur
Guest admonmansur
Guests

Hi,

I was told to post in here if someone was banned. My friend got banned for having profanity in his name but I don't understand why? His name was iToss Kimchi. Can you please justify why this deserved a permanent ban and whether he can be unbanned please? His steam ID is: STEAM_0:1:31801367

Any help would be much appreciated, he was banned from the l4d2 gcftw server.

Thanks!

Your friend was banned for the name "I toss salad" by Thedude on April 19th. It wasn't for a profane name but because its not GC appropriate.

I'm sure he will respond shortly, also your friend should come here as well since it was their ban. As long as they understand the name change which I toss kimchi should be fine, but we will see what Thedude says.

I warned your friend a couple of times about that name, before banning him. After i banned him you added me to your friends list, and i explained to you in private chat how your friend could come to the forums and ask to be unbanned.

The server does not allow profanity of any kind in chat or in names, and that name is just that. For those who don't know what tossing salads means (it's just a yahoo explanation, not a picture or anything):

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070603164202AAWsFXq

I will unban him, given that he never plays under that name again. The name I Toss Kimchi i see no problems with.

Guest admonmansur
Guest admonmansur
Guest admonmansur
Guests

Awesome thanks the dude :)

With all due respect to everyone involved, I do have a problem with I toss kimchi. Kimchi is just a Korean word for what is basically salad. He didn't meaningfully change his name, he's just trying to find an easy way around the rules.

Edited by Leonebluen

(edited)

I looked up Kimchi on google images, it did not give me images of a salad, so i was content. It's a judgement call i guess, and if these come all the way to the forums, i'd have no problems with a senior admin making the final call.

To me that particular rule is a protection to common decency and for the younger players joining the server. They'd have to search pretty hard to get a sexual context out of that name.

Edited by TheDude

The reason kimchi doesn't look like salad is that it's covered in seasonings/sauces. Nevertheless, kimchi is a vegetable dish (normally cabbage + cucumber/radish/etc). Basically, kimchi is made of the most common salad ingredients, but with more colorful/spicy seasonings.

"I Toss Salad" turning into "I Toss Kimchi" is, to me, too much of a coincidence given how similar the two words are. Seems like a sadly shallow cover-up.

Edited by Leonebluen

I'd like to see what a senior admins opinion is on this. I'm still new to admining, but I can see your point Leon. I did check to make sure I toss kimchi wasn't online as another way to express the original and nothing came up, but if someone finds it offensive maybe we should have him change it to something that doesn't come off as inappropriate.

It's equivalent to cabbage, radish, carrots, and other vegetables covered in spicy seasoning. I'm not saying that it's a perfect translation to salad, it definitely isn't; I'm saying it's awfully similar to a salad for a guy who was asked to change his name.

"I Toss Salad" vs "I Toss Spicy Cabbage." Are they different enough to warrant unbanning a guy who hasn't even come to the forums himself?

Also just realized I'm basically just repeating myself, so, I'll shut up now and let an admin decide.

PS - actually just checked, and pickled vegetables seems to be closest. So maybe it's "I Toss Salad" vs "I Toss Pickled Vegetables." Difference?

Edited by Leonebluen

It's not about the two names sounding alike, it's about being unable to make the connection between his new name and the inappriopriate thing his old name referred to. You have to look at the name seperately, not conjoined with his old one.

Don't really care if he wants to make a statement by making the names similar. I don't really care. I wish him good luck on his crusade against 'The Man'. As long as he abides by the rules.

I'd like to see what a senior admins opinion is on this.

It's definitely a grey area, but unless there are other issues (being loud/annoying in server, not being a team player, making admins life difficult), I'd let it go. There are more obvious things to police for -- why make the job harder than it is?

In general, if it's reasonably offensive to more than 1 person, I'd warn, kick as a second warning, perm ban as a final warning.

"I Toss Salad" turning into "I Toss Kimchi" is, to me, too much of a coincidence given how similar the two words are. Seems like a sadly shallow cover-up.

I would usually agree with this sentiment, but I have this irrational suspicion that there's an underlying issue between you and the other player.

I have no idea how old you are, but our rules are there so a) grown ups can have fun without the 16 year halo kids saying racial things about my mom and B) those of us with kids have a place where kids can game without that 16 year old halo kids. Can you honestly argue that a kid is going to immediately wonder what the sexual innuendo is in "I toss Kimchi?" And as the old saying goes...if it doesn't exist on Urban Dictionary, does it really exist?

Chick - go with your gut. It's going to be right 87% of the time. I'm closing the thread, but you should be able to reply to a closed thread and post your decision.