Is this finally going to happen?

walkingCat

That gif the most fake thing I've ever seen. The logo is already photoshopped in there. The 3 is clearly visible already before he adjusts the RGB levels. The original picture doesn't look anything like that.

Odds are, it's probably going to be more about the Steambox and Family Sharing.

I'm not sure I see the benefit of a "Steam box". It would just be a PC that goes in your living room. I can do that now.

It would have to be something real special to peak my interest.

I think the target market is for console gamers/budget gamers. Who want to play PC games (with cheap deals) on a big screen (big picture mode) without the fuss of moving a rig back and forth between 2 setups. If it is cheap enough I might buy one myself for my TV.

Edited by onyxdragoon

I'm not sure I see the benefit of a "Steam box". It would just be a PC that goes in your living room. I can do that now.

It would have to be something real special to peak my interest.

I think the target market is for console gamers/budget gamers. Who want to play PC games (with cheap deals) on a big screen (big picture mode) without the fuss of moving a rig back and forth between 2 setups. If it is cheap enough I might buy one myself for my TV.

What does a "Steam box" have over a Playstation 4 or Xbox One besides the hassle of having to mess with video options to get the game to run properly? I think if you have a good handle on PCs you can build one already and if you don't you can stick with consoles. I think the number of people that want to play PC games on their TV but have no idea how a PC works is a very small market.

Yeah, I'm on the fence about this.

I can already just hook my t.v. to my computer to play games on there if I wanted to (which I don't.) 99% of the games I have on my Steam account I play (and would only want to play) with a keyboard and mouse.

If the Steam Box were a truly powerful little box and you could upgrade it that would eliminate the need for a gaming PC, which could save me money verses building a gaming PC every 5-6 years or so.

Right now there just isn't enough incentive for me to go in that direction. Unless they went and did something silly like make Half Life 3 a Steam Box exclusive.

Besides, with my 3 year old son I'm saving the "home console" experience with the Wii U.

S.

We have designed a high-performance prototype that’s optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, it’s also completely upgradable and open.

It's called a PC Valve, I've been using one for over 20 years...

I really don't see the point of this. What is the advantage of getting one of these over making a PC with an ITX motherboard and installing SteamOS? Is this just for people who don't know how to make a PC but want to play PC games?

Steam Machines confirmed. The SteamOS is more streamlined for controller use.

I just really hope that this isn't a huge flop because it could potentially lead to the end of Valve unless they were to bounce back from it.

At this time, it's safe to assume a huge amount of $ has been invested for research and development--you're right, better not be a big flop.

We have designed a high-performance prototype that’s optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, it’s also completely upgradable and open.

I really don't see the point of this. What is the advantage of getting one of these over making a PC with an ITX motherboard and installing SteamOS? Is this just for people who don't know how to make a PC but want to play PC games?

You're not the target market, pretty much everyone here is not their target market. If you have a PC, you're set.

Here is my guess. Valve is going to work with developers to make their games optimized to run on SteamOS just like other developers have their games run on other consoles. Looks like valve wants a piece of the console market.

Edited by onyxdragoon

Your're not the target market.

I get that much, but I'm trying to figure out what the target market is. Are they trying to take sales away from the Microsoft and Sony on the console front or just trying to give PC gamers that don't make their own PCs something to put next to their TV?

From what I can understand, since there is another announcement later on. They want people to experience steam/their games in a home theater type setting. Yeah, it is easy just to unplug a setup and move it to another room. I think it is just convenient for people to have a Steam Machine in a home theater room with all the other consoles instead of moving a PC back and forth. If they want to compete with consoles then the price has to be very competitive.

Maybe they want to remove the line between PC and Consoles. Who knows.

Edited by onyxdragoon

The rumor going around is that the next announcement is a new version of the Source engine, but that information is from 4Chan. I don't believe anything on there. :D

Regardless of their actual Steam Box/Steam Machine whatever thing, I'll definitely be making a cheap PC with SteamOS if the streaming to the TV is good. It would be awesome if they partnered with Sony and made it so you could install a SteamOS app on the Playstation 4 to stream from your PC to your TV, but that would be crazy... OR WOULD IT??

At least Valve gives tons of information about what they announce unlike certain other companies who reveal something and...that's it. They don't give any specifications or anything until another huge gaming event. It's going to be interesting to see the Steam Controller in action since they say it will act a lot like a Keyboard/Mouse. Having read more about it, I'd be interested in even trying it out without going in with a negative mindset about it.

At least Valve gives tons of information about what they announce unlike certain other companies who reveal something and...that's it. They don't give any specifications or anything until another huge gaming event. It's going to be interesting to see the Steam Controller in action since they say it will act a lot like a Keyboard/Mouse. Having read more about it, I'd be interested in even trying it out without going in with a negative mindset about it.

Have you tried to play an FPS with a laptop track pad?

If their controls are supposed to simulate a mouse I imagine it will be very similar to a laptop track pad. On a controller right now you have sticks, if you push up on the stick you'll look up (or down if you play inverted) until you let go. On Valve's track-pad-stick-replacement-things you would hold your thumb towards the top of the of the pad. If it's simulating a mouse it wouldn't keep moving up like a stick, it would just stop at that location. Sticks are an analog movement that can control the rate and direction of movement. A track pad that is moving as a mouse can't do that unless Valve has to specifically tell the controller games that need analog movement get analog movement. That way if you hold your thumb towards the top of the pad it will keep moving up, like a stick would. Then Valve has to tell the controller specifically which games need mouse like track pad movement so it doesn't control like a stick, like RTS games. It would be super complicated if Valve has to go through and tell each game how to see the controller.

Unfortunately I won't get hands on with one until I buy one. No one I know will buy one and I'm definitely not getting in the beta.