Summer Project!`

Im rebuilding my computer this summer and i started today. I got a Chieftec case with a door on the side, 4 red lcd fans and a 400 watt psu. Keepin my 21' monitor and stuff like that. Im planning on getting a P4 2.8 and 512 stick of NICE ram. I was wondering though if there were any advantages of having dual processors in a home computer? If you know anything about it lemme know.

Yeah, what Homer said. Most software out there today, especially sw developed for home use, is not multi-processor aware so dual-procs are really a waste. The few programs I know that are SMP (System Multi-Processor) aware and the "regualr user" might have are Photoshop and Quake 3.

Adobe's Photoshop for lots of things but it really has to be a pretty large file to make it much of a benefit.

Premiere (digital video editing) and After effects both crunch it good with multi-processors. The products actually say multiprocessor recommended.

That's all the mainstream stuff I know of.

I will go with the majority here, and say that dualies, while really cool, are pretty much overkill. For example, I have a buddy with a dual system, and a friend with a singlr proc system. (All three processors are the same speed) They benchmark within 50 of each other with the same video card.

It might be better for you Jo to go with an Intel mobo that supports your current cpu but also allows you to upgrade to the newer CPUs. Not sure what the details are for Intel (Rooster, you are the Intel guy...speak up) but for AMD, I currently have an 1800+ (OC'ed to 2100+) but my mobo supports me going to 3000+ and beyond.

ok so back on track here.. P4 2.8. recommendations on ram? For my video card im still undecieded but i am almost sure im going to stay Nvidia. Get a lot of mixed feelings on ATI and think im gonna stay away from them. Im living with NOFX and he has a 9700 and im not sure its any different looking then gf4 TI anything. I just wanna make sure my card isnt outdated too bad once i get it installed.

is it worth it to go Amd, if you already have a intel processor? Like instead of just getting a intel mobo, go for a amd mobo and processor. I have a 1.7 ghz intel

Tough question. Hrmmm. I would really not recommend upgrading anything right now. The Pentium 5's are coming out soon, and a new PCI standard is on the horizon as well. It might be about the right time to hang on to all your old stuff if it still plays games really well. I dunno, if you are just "keeping up with the joneses" I would re-think any major upgrades at this point. However, if you are having problems running games or progs, I would probably just upgrade the processor and add more RAM.