Getting a new Gaming Laptop

Yortz

Getting 1 later this month or next month. After hours of searching I'm stuck between ASUS or MSI. ATM I'm leaning towards ASUS because it's cheaper and many reviews say it's cooling system and fan noise is better than MSI as MSI's fans will get louder when it's running games, but still haven't made up my mind yet.

Specs are:

ASUS

17.3" IPS Display

Intel i7 2.5-3.5 ghz

Nvidia Geforce 970M 3GB

16GB RAM

1 TB HDD

MSI

17.3" Display

Same as ASUS

Nvidia Geforce 970M 6GB w/ Optimus Tech

12GB RAM

128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Your input/opinion would be appreciated.

PS: KILL PEANUT!!!

Unless you absolutely must have the portability, you can build your own system with (much) better performance for the price of either of those two laptops ( Asus G7X series @ about $1300-$1500?), and have $$ leftover for a decent monitor + peripherals. 

The MSI pros - Steel Series keyboard and better audio ( Dynaudio Tech with subwoofer).  Asus has better cooling and that super sexy Raptor look.  Everything else is pretty much on par with each other - cpu, screen, gpu, etc.  Oh uh, Asus has that really good 1 year accidental damage warranty.

Personally, I would pick the Asus, simply because it looks mad sexy.  The Steel Series keyboard is still better than Asus but I didn't think the Asus keyboard was that bad.  And I don't really care about laptop audio performance :P  Both good laptops.  I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  Also, look up xoticpc.com... you might be able to get a decent deal on either one or customize your own for bit cheaper.  

Got the specs from xoticpc.com too. I agree with all you say, only reason I leaning Asus coz of the cooling and cheaper. And as my friend say Asus ROG series looks like a lamborghini. Thanks for your input. :luxhello:

I could sell you my G75-VX Asus ROG.  It's pretty much in like-new condition because it was recently repaired.  Offering to sell it because I don't need it anymore.  I'd offer it to you for $800.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZ9IUY

If you're not interested in it and would rather just go with a brand new one, I was planning on throwing it on Amazon anyway to sell it for ~$1,000.

Samsung makes a fast and reliable SSD.

Intel makes a solid SSD that should last longer than most but won't have as fast of read/write speeds as the others.

Kingston and Crucial are also putting out some really solid SSDs as well.

I would go with what ever may be in your budget/watch sales on Newegg and other sites but I would pick a Samsung 850 series, Evo or Pro.

Reading through reviews about SSD. I'm gonna stick with HDD, it's where I'm gonna put all my work files, doing a lot of read/write, and SSD's are limited to that. Thanks for your input. :happy:

I just thought you would benefit down the road from both, I would still stick to your plan of the Asus, but maybe could add the SSD when you are ready in the extra bay. I have a SSD for my OS/games and 3 standard HDDs for my files and other stuffz.

(edited)

Yeah probably gonna get an SSD for later use. :thumbsup:

Edit: Does it affect the read/write of SSD's if OS & games get updated (specially Windows and Steam)?

Edited by Yortz

No it does not affect the read/write; I have Windows, Steam and some of the games I play on my SSD. I put some of the other games that won't benefit as much from the speed on one of the other standard HDDs.

The main downfall to SSDs at this point is that you want to avoid constantly writing over the same sector over and over because it will eventually kill the sector, though they are getting better at this with newer SSDs. We are also talking about many, many rewrites over the sector before it becomes an issue. So basically anything you plan on adding and removing on a regular basis would be better on a standard drive. Some manufacturers, like Samsung, recommend that you turn off restore point creation for this reason, since it will delete old restore points as space is needed for newer ones so it constantly rewrites over the same spots.. basically if you ever need to roll your Windows back to a previous point, you will not have one if that feature is turned off, if that's how you choose to setup your drive.

I'm tinkering atm, instead of 1TB HDD for primary gonna switch it to 500GB SSD, and getting a 500GB HD for secondary. OS/games will be on SSD and other media and other programs(browser, media player etc.) on HDD.