Client Timed Out error

looneypumpkin

Background: I got a new hard drive (SSD) and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home 64 bit today. Fresh copy of Steam and all my games, Windows and everything is 100% up-to-date. I get to play for 5-20 minutes before I get disconnected "Client Timed Out" 

I have tried all the fixes online in the steam posts. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, verified the files, made changes in the console, startup, pretty much everything. This is not a wifi issue. I started using my Ethernet port today and if anything my connection is 10x better and faster (before I was only wireless.) I even disabled my wifi adapter in case it was causing some issue, but I'm about to try it again back on wifi only. 

One thing I have noticed is that when I open the game, the Blog on the main page is always lit up, like it has something for me to read. Which makes me think something isn't being written correctly. 

Any ideas would be appreciated, this is sort of driving me a bit looney. 

GC Board Member

That's a good idea, though I wasn't having the issue before all of this (and had Windows 10 that time as well.) I went ahead and went back to a wireless connection instead of using Ethernet and was able to play for 25 minutes until the server actually crashed and I had to leave for the store. I'll look into the router as a possible source, wouldn't have thought of that. 

GC Server Admin
(edited)

Here's my solution :  Turn Off router;  shutdown steam and all games;  use CCleaner to clear history etc;  re-start computer - after everything is loaded up, turn on router  but Wait for at least a minute before starting steam, games.

Edited by MPG1770