Window Mod

if your concern is the fan in the side then you should go ahead and put the window in the side if you really want it. the fan on the side is nice but you can get mount to place fans anywhere inside your case to compensate for the loss of the side fan.

If you are concerned with getting a perfectly round hole, you could use a hole saw, kinda pricey for a one time application thought. $15-20 for arbor and bit probably.

Shouldn't this be in the Tool Time forum? :lol:

hrmmm...actually, the hole doesn't have to be perfect. I usually draw a perfect circle, then use my Dremel and a drywall cutting bit to cut it. The fan grill will hide the edge of the circle, but I usually try to buff it out pretty nicely with a high grit sanding drum and a felt wheel. I wish you could just have the window shipped here, I could do the hole, and be done with it, but there would be a lot of measuring to do before a cut could be made. Anyway, the point is, the hole doesn't have to be exact cuz the grill will hide the rim of the cut.

ok so then If i use a dremel to cut hole in the plexi and then I need to cut the case itself (mind you this case is not aluminum) anything I should know here....draw hole on case with dry erase marker...clamp it down and dremel....my case is black and scratces easy any suggestions there....and also sould I look around for a window kit or just go buy a peice of plex

I would grab a window kit. The molding shouldn't be an aesthetic issue since you have a black case. A kit will go in really easy, and unless you just want a funky window, I'd just pick up a kit.

The process I use is as follows.

1) Cover the entire door panel with Painter's Masking Tape (I prefer the tan to the blue)

2) You then center and square up the window.

3) Use the included washer (every kit I have ever seen includes a washer) to trace the shape of the window

4) Cut the outline of the window along the line (Maybe a little inside if you're not too confident with the Dremel)

5) Clean up the hole with a little sandpaper (I use a sanding drum on the Dremel)

6) Remove the tape when everything involving cutting, sanding, possible gouging, etc... is finished.

7) Line the hole you just cut with the window molding.

8) Work a corner or side into the molding, and work the molding around the window.

9) Insert the locking strip in the back.

Some tips. Don't even think you are going to keep the window clean during the installation. Just get it dirty and worry about cleaning it later. However, do try to get any oil or metal shavings off of your hands before you handle it with the plastic off. Also, if you plan to do a fan hole, go on and cut it before you install the window, it will at least save a little time. BUY EXPENSIVE PAINTER'S TAPE. Don't skimp on this. If you buy regular masking tape it will leave residue. I have cut several windows and haven't had a hint of residue using some good 2" wide painter's tape (I think it cost like $5). Use the Fiberglass re-enforced cutting wheels. For a steel case I normally burn 6 or 7. On my first steel case, I used 13 (I have learned much since then). That's about it man, I'll post some pics of a recent window I did tomorrow or the next day.

(edited)

Sweet, One last thing....If I wanned to do a custom hole....I really don't know how possible this would be but I wanted to do the VI logo (incase you haven't seen it recently the "V" in a circle with the I going through the middle of the V) on the window. A few ways I was thinking about this. One would be actualy try to cut out the circle leaving a VI in the middle...that would be pretty rough and I'm not sure how the case would hold up while trying to do that. Another would be to Cut the circle and leave just the I and then cut the V out of another peice of metal ( I have 2 other case sides the same size as mine just need to be painted) and gule the V on the back of the I .

The last would be to buy a circle Kit and try to cut out the VI out of metal and glue it on the window...this sounds the most possible the problem being how to glue metal to the window (ie. what type of glue that would not show through the glass), and what type of metal to use (I assume I could find a metal sheet of some kind that I could cut much easer than a case.

*Edit* the other problem is the current location of my fan hole. If ya look at the pic of my case you will notice that it would be very much in the way. I would have to cut the circle off center and completly take out the fan hole (comeing very close to where my indention of my handle is and also lose the side fan wich I really don't want to do) The other sides I have are the same size but they have a buch of weird gills on them that my case dosn't have and would look kinda odd on one side and not the other.

Oh ya and lastly dweez what the heck is all that white space under your quote?

Edited by Slaphappy

Etching is actually verry easy. Take some of that tape that rooster was talking about, the good stuff, lay a mat of it where you want your design on the window. Draw the design in pencil on top of the tape. Use an exacto knife to cut out your logo, peel the tape up leaving the part of the window you want frosted/etched showing and the rest of the tape down. Go to your local craft store and purchase some etching paste (If I recall its pretty cheap, maybe $5) and follow directions on the bottle. You basically just put the paste over the whole area, let it sit awhile, wash it off when enough time has expired, then peel the tape up and your logo will be there. I use this process when etching windows in woodworking projects that I do, I have had pretty good success with it.

hehe well I decided against just doing a window...let me show ya what i'm doing.......I gonna get an eching of the VI logo with Village Idiots across it (i'll get a pic up as soon as I can get kemo to host it)....I'm getting it done from www.koolpcmods.com and I'm getting the window in shape number 13 with the fan hole

I'll get a pic up of the logo I'm using here pretty soon....I just hope that the window shape will take out off of where my fan hole is on my case now

ok ok Does anyone anywhere make a 70mm to 80mm fan adapter ahhhhhh I don't wan't 60 to 80 I WANT 70...friggen people

I can't find one, but I'll keep looking. It is a pretty obscure piece, but surely someone has made on somewhere along the line.