ftp

hey everybody wassup? i have a quick question here about ftp'ing. i am trying to set up an ftp server. my setup is thus: i have a computer that is connected directly to the internet via a cable modem, and it is this one that i'm trying to use as a server. i also have broderbund's zone alarm as firewall. i have freed ports 20 and 21 both tcp and udp for incoming and outgoing, but i still cannot connect to it from a seperate computer. if anyone has some input/suggestion for how to make this work i'd be much obliged.

HTTP is port 80 so you are right Playaa.

Zonealarm is running on the machine you want to use as FTP right? I've never used the software but I'd think that opening the ports would not require forwarding since it's to that machine.

Are you able to use the web from that machine?

Try turning off the firewall for a few minutes and see if you can hit it.

Try to ping it and see if you get a reply.

I thought ftp used different ports than tcp and udp?

guess I was wrongzorz

TCP and UDP are protocols (2 of many many)

ports are well um ports 80, 21, 20, 0-65535

FTP in this case is BOTH 20 and 21 TCP.

20 is the data line (ftp-data) and 21 is the command interface (ftp)

look at it this way, protocols are akin to spanish, french, english...language equivalents

ports are location address to where these protocols are talking.

TCP and UDP are protocols (2 of many many)

we can all agree that I'm a freakin moron with a lapse in memory here....

I knew that....been working with ports and protocols for years in programming....

:bang::tired:

yes, thats also referred to as FORWARDING (redirecting/rewriting the packet header/dest addys)

anyway.

there will be a place in your (router) to do this

it will possibly have 3 columns. ipaddress, port, protocol to forward

lets pretend:

inet (external IP address) -> router (4 port/NAT) -> internal machines (internal IP addy)

if ext IP = 24.12.16.54

and internal IP = 192.168.0.15

you would enter 192.168.0.15

port: 21

proto: TCP

then youd have to add another line

port: 20

proto: TCP

That should be it.

What router you have? Make/Model.

(edited)

Knowing I haven't looked into it in detail, I though from a FTP server stand point that port 20 was used for clients to upload on and 21 used for clients to download on (i.e., the FTP server receives files over port 20 and sends files over port 21).

Also Kemo, since your computer effectivly has 2 network presences (one on the Internet and the LAN IP for your internal network), your IP route table might be messed up, meaning, that your clients might be trying to connect to your FTP server over the LAN IP (usually 192.169.1.x) but the server is trying to reply over the Internet IP. You can bring up a Dos box and typ "route print" to see your routing table. I always have a difficult time figuring it out so if you post it up, maybe m0m can interpret it to see if it is correct.

Edited by dwEEziL

Kemo Sabe,Aug 26 2003, 11:24 AM] ok, thanks man.  ill try.  one more question: is it easy to redirect those ports with a router?

As easy as pie (and who doesn't like pie?). You will go to the router's configuration webpage and look for a "Forward" section. Add the ports you want forwarded, give it the LAN IP of the computer that is the FTP server, then click apply.